[Electronics-Talk] router extenders

rixmix2009 at gmail.com rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:07:37 UTC 2020

I may be not as informed as  some.
But when you are saying accessible as to extenders, what is it that is expressed?

My own experience is limited to the one extender I have ever had. I purchased a Netgear wifi extender. After it was configured to use, it uses the same network name but with an underscore and E X T after the name, and it works fine. I will connect my particular device, to either that extender or to the router with the online network downstairs, which is the network name without the  e x t.

I was hearing about Orbi and other mesh systems. So I asked the kid at the store.
As this person at Staples explained his understanding of the mesh system to me, he said that the mesh was pretty much the same ass using this wifi extender that I just described above.  And that he thought all the mesh was just a new commercialized gimmick, as far as he was concerned. So I did not buy anything new at this time.

As to its accessibility, however, I don't know  what else I need to know. OF course he was not versed in  anything of that nature.

In getting the Netgear extender configured, I had to download the Netgear software called the genie, and use it to more easily get it to find the extender.
Of course there is the needed use of a reset button on the extender itself, when changing to another connection. And of course it does not talk. But other than that, I don't know. I was just using my screen reader and the website and that genie installer software I described.

Do you meanthat these devices actually do give a verbal indication as to status? That would be a horse of a different color of course.

I hope that some of what I described above, is more useful than not. But if someone can further explain why this mesh system is better, I am interested.

Thanks.
Rik