[Electronics-Talk] router extenders

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:10:05 UTC 2020

Your wifi extender created a separate wifi network with _ext suffix.
That's the main disadvantage of such extenders. I'm too lazy to switch
to another network on my phone every time I go to another room. That's
the benefit of mesh systems - the router and all the satellites form a
single wifi network and your phone will dynamically reconnect from one
router/satellite to another as you walk from one room to another. So
it's not just gimmick, it is very useful if the signal from a single
router cannot reach all the corners.

When I mentioned accessibility, I meant that Orbi's web console is fully
accessible. I know that these days NetGear offers a mobile app to
configure router, but I prefer good old web console, so I cannot comment
as to whether the mobile app is accessible.

--Tony