[Electronics-Talk] Changes to AIRA 5-minute offer

David Diamond Daviddiamond2019 at outlook.com
Tue Sep 1 16:15:39 UTC 2020

Well, as for the high cost, not to sound like I'm loaded with money, but, I've heard them in action when they were helping a blind person.  Instead of giving him sighted terms such as, over that way, when you get to the second door turn to the right, etc. they gave him directions that are clear and not to early.  Too early?  Yes, I'm still training my family although it seems to be a lost cause, don't tell me to turn to the left or right 5 feet before the turn.  Even my guide dog overrode the directions when my wife told me to go to the left to get to the pharmacy, it was a right hand turn, he took me to the right instead of following her directions.  Unemployed blind people.  True, however, some have other internal issues that prevent them from holding down a job even if they got one.2 blind persons good at technology were teaching me computers, one would frequently not show up for appointments and wanted us to pick him up.  Or, the appointment would be for 5 PM on the phone, he'd sleep in because of playing games or chatting on the phone well into the early hours of the day.  Or, say his iPhone needed to be charged up and he didn't notice.  He lived with his iPhone, almost attached to his ear.  You're going to tell me he did not notice.  Another person said because of his blindness he was not aware of the time, as in day or night.  Try pulling that at a job and see how far it takes you. Even at guide dog schools they provide you with a talking radio/alarm clock.  The not knowing if it was day or night would not fly there either.  So, it gets back to my original thought, some are unemployable.  The crux of it all is if you want quality help you have to pay for it.  Now these agencies that receive funding from the government or suckers they can bilk for donations that's, a different story.  As in a $100 donation goes for 90% of the administrative costs. One of these agencies had a talking microwave oven.  All staff were sighted and frequently complained about the talking microwave.  A blind person offered to teach them how to operate it.  They declined his offer but continued to complain.  Helpful to the blind?  Hardly. An O & M instructor would frequently get lost when driving.  She was told the correct street to take or highway, she ignored the direction and just drove aimlessly feeling she'd find her way eventually.  Then she'd probably tell the client she got held up in traffic.  They'd feel sorry for her. Some of the elderly are so desperate for company they'd swallow anything and are prime targets.  Of course the wasting of gas would be covered by her salary so she didn't care. Another O & M instructor took yearly vacations for 5 weeks.  Must be nice to have all of that money where you can take safaris to Africa.