[Electronics-Talk] Washing machine

Peter pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 01:20:17 UTC 2021

Hello Georgia and everyone,

Go for a smart washer. Why not?

Peter Donahue

-----Original Message-----
From: Electronics-Talk <electronics-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of
Jim McCarthy via Electronics-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 4:02 PM
To: Discussion of accessible home electronics and appliances
<electronics-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Jim McCarthy <bmoresoxfan at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Electronics-Talk] Washing machine

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 10:00 PM Georgia Kitchen via Electronics-Talk <
electronics-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Hi all,  I was wondering if you could share what brand and model of
> washing machine you are using. It looks like ours is on it's last leg.
> I understand that some of the washers beep when you push the buttons
> and one can count the beeps so you can figure out what setting you are
> on. I read braille so I could keep a sheet of the settings and what
> each button is used for. I have talked to the man at the sears home
> town store and he has agreed to help me if possible. The store is
> pretty jammed with appliances--however, he has agreed to plug in an
> exgtension cord so I could try out the settings. We are open to either
> a top loader or a front loading washer. Any help would be very much
> appreciated. The repair man told us not to put any more money in getting
our old washer fixed. Thanks in advance.

> Georgia
> --
> Georgia Kitchen
> Genesee County Chapter National Federation of the Blind NFB-Newsline
>
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/electronics-talk_nfbnet.org/bmoresox
> fan%40gmail.com

Terri and  I have owned front loading washers for 20 years now. To avoid
leaking, they ceal very tightly, which also can result in oders and perhaps
mold as well. Manuals for these generally urge one to keep the door open
between uses. I like our present one allot. I can't tell what model it is.
It is a Whirlpool brand, though could be maytag. I'm reading the user guide
and it is for several related units. I also am not seeing a list of the
covered units. The machine is digital and  apparently can be operated
through the use of a mobile app wirelessly. I labeled ours using a
combination of mostly braille and som of the sticky marking dots. There is
anold  fashon  cycle selec  knob that has a pointer to choose among cycles
on a circular dial. There are in  addition to that several raised
rectangulartouchablebuttons  near which we have placed abreviated braille
labels. temp for teperature would be an example. one can also invoke a
setting where the    machine provides melodic sounds to indicate cycle
changes or inputs. I find ou  washeranddrierboprettyyyness accessible but
Electronics-Talk mailing list
Electronics-Talk at nfbnet.org