[Electronics-Talk] Conn's Home Plus, Air Conditioners

Peter pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 14:55:54 UTC 2021

Good morning everyone,

	Earlier this year our central air conditioning began to fail. A
technician told me that our a/c compressor will need to be replaced. Getting
through a South Texas summer with little or no air conditioning can be very
unpleasant. The apartment complex gave us a portable air conditioning unit
for our bedroom. The unit has stopped producing cold air twice since we've
had it. Yesterday morning was one of those occasions. Communication with our
leasing office has gotten terrible. I went up there yesterday morning to
report the problem and was assured that maintenance would come to fix it.
They never showed up. If I knew what can cause a portable air conditioner to
stop producing cold air perhaps I could fix it myself and we can continue to
keep our cool. We have no idea when our central air conditioning compressor
will be replaced.

	In desperation I went to Conn's Home Plus and bought three window
air conditioners. Given the importance of air conditioning during the summer
one would think that installing air conditioning units would bbe a high
priority for any vendor. When the units were delivered last Thursday we were
told that an installer would be here last Friday or Saturday. No one from
the Conn's contractor came to install the air conditioners for us like we
were told would happen. We bought the air conditioners last Wednesday. I was
given an install date of September 1st way too long to wait for air
conditioning to be installed during the summer. Efforts to push our
installation date up have not been successful. I'll be going over there
later today to attempt to resolve this matter. The sooner these units can be
installed we can begin enjoying our cool again.

	These are GE units with somewhat tactile buttons and the ability to
connect to wifi. They have remote controls and a smartphone app. They can be
integrated with Amazon's Alexa and Google Assistant. Smart HQ is GE's app
for tablets and smartphones allowing their smart appliances to be controlled
by these devices and home management platforms. Has anyone used this App
with Voiceover or Talkback?

	Finally I would be curious to know if any of you have bought
appliances from Conn's Home Plus and what your experience was like. We had a
very good experience with them when we bought our deep freezer earlier this
year. It was delivered and the technicians got it working the same day. If
only the folks that delivered our air conditioners install them the same
night I probably wouldn't be writing this message. Conn's is a great place
to buy appliances and other items such as furniture, but their appliance
installation contractor is in terrible need of an over-hall. All the best.

Peter Donahue