[Electronics-Talk] New TV

Rik James rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:24:02 UTC 2022

Recently I purchased a TCL 32-inch Roku TV. The Accessibility does have a Speech function. Not a great voice, but okay. I was excited. But soon I was to discover, it really only reads the menus. When it comes to reading the apps and the programs, things in the apps, no dice. So what is the big whoopie for that?
Is the Roku app better? Should I get the Roku app and attach it to the Roku TV?
The Amazon Fire Stick I already have seems to speak out the lists of programs on various apps okay. So I am a bit disappointed.

I had just previously purchased a Samsung Smart TV. But it was defective, so I returned it to Target. Turns out, Target was selling products which had been returned by other customers. Wow, huh?

I had a scary thing happen to me yesterday, however. Just to beware. Upon trying to activate the app credentials on the new TV, where you need to use a browser to get the code, and then type it in on the TV. You know? While struggling to do that, a malicious intruder came on to my phone. I guess it was a phony browser for the Amazon activation page. I was in a real mess for awhile. I think I escaped the fraudulent Amazon agent okay. But it was scary. So do be careful. This guy was making instructions that sounded okay, until it got to a point where he wanted a credit card number. Oh, no you don't! No dice, mister. But, I could not even hang up the phone! I eventually was able to power off my phone. And contact Amazon, remove the card from my credit payment settings, and remove the unauthorized purchases that this bad man had made. Yikes, huh?

Really. Television is getting to seem more and more like something I might just choose to abandon altogether. Why are they making so much electronic technology that you just have to battle and battle, to get to work. No decent manuals, no access, and really the programming itself is hardly appealing anymore.
You can't really ask anyone to know about this stuff. With so many various devices, each with its own peculiarities, there is not any universal way to deal with it. Most customer support agents have very little familiarity, which is understandable, too, as they are addressing hundreds of products, and most of them they have not used themselves.

Am I cranky? Am I crazy? Or do I make sense?

Rik James