[Electronics-Talk] Modern land line services

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Jun 19 20:19:07 UTC 2022

Spectrum phone service, like all phone service provided by cable
companies, is VOIP, regardless of whether it is connected to a modem or
some other device. This means that if there is a power outage, you will
lose your phone service.  A friend of mine who has Spectrum phone
service lost her phone service for ten days two months ago due to an
outage that their brain dead techicians took forever to repair and had
to rely on her cell phone. The only truly reliable phone service is
provided by good old-fashion copper wire networks.  Thank goodness,
Verizon, another company plagued by stupidity and mismanagement, has
been prohibited from discontinuing my copper wire landline service
because my landlord, who has a sweetheart deal with Spectrum that dates
back 50 years, will not let Verizon wire my apartment building for
FIOS.  In 70 years,I have only experienced one outage with my copper
wire land line service. But I am stuck with Spectrumm for my cable TV
and Internet service because they have an absolute monopoly in my area,
and I have to pay $200 a month, or else go without cable TV and Internet
service, plus another $35 a month for my Verizon copper wire service. If
I wanted to switch to Spectrum VOIP phone service and lower my monthly
bill by bundling all three services, I would not be able to use my
existing phone jacks throughout my apartment because Spectrum would be
barred from accessing the main phone junction box, which is the property
of Verizon,  to shut off the low voltage current that would still flow
through the old phone lines to the jacks. Because I am hearing impaired,
using cordless phones throughout my large apartment instead of wired
phones which provide superior amplification would not be a practical
option.

Gerald