[Fabs] question on DBS/braillenotes

Jorge A. Paez jorgeapaez at me.com
Tue Aug 18 22:46:00 UTC 2015

Hello everyone.
Just had 2 quick questions.
First of all, I've been talking to DBS about buying me a Braille Note
for the upcoming year, as I need it to take notes during class,
specially because the 2 on-campus classes I'm taking are both maths.
Basically I'm taking 2 remedial classes--Math Development 2 and
Intermediate Algebra in 6-week sessions, so I'll be ready for College
Algebra by the spring.
Problem is, I've been talking to them since May, and my new DBS
counselor--I was transferred because my counselor before got promoted so
I got transferred in June.
Anyway, my counselor promised me in June that they'd have the Braille
Note by August.
Long story short, that's not happening.
I was told that the request depended on a 12-credit schedule--and I had
previously handed in a schedule which was only for about 6 credits--in
person, and I was never told of that. I handed in an updated schedule
which I had forgotten to hand in earlier with the 13.5 credits, which is
what I'll be taking in the fall.
What was annoying wasn't the schedule problem itself--I had forgotten to
update them on that, but that I handed my former schedule over in July
in person to my counselor and I was never once told about this until I
mentioned the Braille Note last week.
I dropped off the schedule on Monday, and was told my counselor was on
vacation for the week, so spoke to the District Administrator.
However, when she looked at my file she said that my counselor had not
done the semester review, and that my file was missing my Financial Aid
Letter, and grades from my first semester--all things that I was never
told I had to hand in. That was no problem because we printed them out.
What really ticked me off though was, that when she looked, there was no
order for a Braille Note, even though I had been told by my counselor a
week before that the order was pending at the District level.
My questions are 2, I guess.
First of all, what am I supposed to do now as far as DBS?
Obviously I'm not going to have my notetaker by the start of class,
though I'm clueless as to what to do--and at this speed I probably won't
get it until I graduate college.
Secondly, does anyone know where I can borrow one or something?
I've talked to the District Administrator about it because my counselor
had mentioned it as a possibility, but the District Administrator said
she had no idea where they were stored--if they had any, or where she
could borrow them from, as my counselor was the only one who was in
charge of keeping track of them and she was in vacation and inaccessible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jorge