[Fabs] Blackboard Collaborate accessibility

Jorge Paez paezja at mail.broward.edu
Sat Jun 6 17:24:42 UTC 2020

Hi all.
My name is Jorge and I’m an undergraduate student at Broward College in Fort Lauderdale.
Some of you may recognize me since I was active in FABS back in 2015 for a while.
And if you’re wondering why I’m still an undergraduate, I took a bit of a break from school, worked and other personal matters got in the way but now I’m back on track and also working to reconnect with the Federation which I had gotten disconnected from around the same time and for the same reason.
Anyway I’m writing because I had a question for all of you.
My College offers 2 online classes now. The first is the traditional online type of campus, with discussion questions, work from the textbook and assignments you upload.
The second one is basically supposed to simulate the on-campus experience, except it’s done through video chat and the entire process uses BlackBoard Collaborate.
BlackBoard itself doesn’t have a good reputation for accessibility, I’m aware, since I was part of the NABS mailing list during the whole issue with them back in 2010, but supposedly they had come to an agreement to make it accessible if I remember right.
Does anyone have experience with this platform?
Right now I’m taking only online classes but if this virus things continues I might end up wanting to take the campus simulation classes just to get the social element back in, plus I’d prefer to take some classes like the Intro to Philosophy course in that format if possible.

Thanks,

Jorge