[Fabs] FABS Monthly Meeting Minutes: January 21st

FABS Secretary students at nfbflorida.org
Sun Feb 4 18:00:00 UTC 2024

Good morning everyone! Please check out the meeting minutes from our
meeting that was held back on January 21st. As always, if you have any
questions, please let me know. Have a great day!

FABS Monthly Meeting Minutes
January 21, 2024

Meeting was called to order at 6:05 PM
Role Call by Z’Leah at: 6:05 PM

Secretary’s Report by Elijah Grant 6:10 PM
Last minutes were sent to the division via the list serve. Meli made a
motion to approve the secretary’s report; Elijah seconded. All were in favor

Treasurer’s Report by Meliora Hatcher at: 6:08
Changing of format: Meli will be doing the minutes from last month.
Starting balance: $2,911
No money has been sent or received.
Ending balance (of as December 31): $2,911
Elijah made a motion to approve the treasurer’s report and Jose seconded;
all were in favor.

How is the first week of your semester going? 6:12 PM
What are you excited about?
What are you going to do differently from last semester?
NFB Scholarship Reminder 6:15 PM
Deadline: March 31st
B. Must attend and participate in person at the NFB National Convention
C. Will need confirmation of legal blindness: eye report, rehab councilor
letter, ETC.
D. Need one letter of recommendation
E. You will need a transcript (unofficial should do)
F. An interview will need to be conducted with your affiliate president
before the scholarship deadline unless your president schedules the
appointment after the deadline.
G. An essay is required.
Legislative priorities of 2024 6:15 PM
 Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act
B. Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
C. Blind Americans Return to Work Act
Announcement about the 2024 National Convention 6:29 PM
Dates: July 3 – July 8th
Location: Rosen Center Hotel – 9840 International Dr.
Hotel Rates: Single and doubles are $129 or $146.42 with taxes and fees per
night; triples and quads are $139 or $157.77 with taxes and fees per night.
Must call hotel to reserve; ask for the NFB convention block; call (800)
204-7234.
$146 deposit required upon booking a room; rest will be paid at the hotel
If you cancel after Saturday, June 1st, half your deposit will be returned.
Stay tuned for more announcements about the national convention each month,
such as what is national convention; how to cover the costs of convention;
how to get to Orlando from anywhere within Florida; information about the
hotel; getting around within Orlando; the best places to eat, and more.
Announcement of Midwest Seminar 6:33 PM
A. Dates are March 22-24th.
B. Location is TBD
Announcements from the Affiliate Board 6:37 PM
No announcements.
Elijah motioned to adjourn the meeting Meli seconded. All were in favor.
Meeting ended at 6:40 PM
NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.
One Minute Message:
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Elijah Grant
Secretary - Florida Association of Blind Students
Treasurer - Greater Broward Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of
Florida
Associate of Arts in Information Technology Candidate - Broward College
Click here to email the Florida Association of Blind Students.
<students at nfbflorida.org>
Social Media Links
Check us out on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/people/Florida-Association-of-Blind-Students-FABS/100079313452079/>
Follow us on TikTok <https://www.tiktok.com/@blind_students_fl>
Follow us on Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/fabs_nfb/>
"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
expectations
of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not
what holds
you back."
-National Federation of the Blind One-Minute Message