[Faith-talk] same-sex marriage/civil union - the problems!

Stefan Slucki sslucki at chariot.net.au
Fri Nov 14 00:06:12 UTC 2008

Hi Laura and list,

Well, Laura, it does seem that commenting on this most relevant topic on our
list does open that "can of worms" you refer to.

Now worms are good for fertilizing the garden so I hope what I say, below,
is useful to all.

Obviously, it's a big subject as the traffic on list has shown in the past
ten days.

Now I think consensus has been reached on the list as to the desirable
individual Christian's attitude and approach to individual
homosexuals/domestic partnership members.

Why resist granting either "civil union" or "marriage" status to these folk?

Firstly, as Chuck Colson argues, heterosexual marriage is and always should
be held up as the norm in society, with Christian marriage as the ideal.  To
use the word "marriage" in relation to a same-sex partnership is socially
confusing, inconsistent and suicidal to such convictions.

Secondly, heterosexual marriage has a "civil union" element in that the
paperwork associated with marriage is State-based not church-based.

As a Minister of the Gospel, I have to prepare couples according (in my
case) to the directions of the Marriage Act of Australia 1961 and return
certain papers to the appropriate government registry of births, deaths and
marriages.  Of course!  I stress to couples that my role is to also prepare
them from a Christian viewpoint.

The point I'm making is that even if a couple have a civil ceremony, they
are still lawfully and actually married in God's Sight even though they
didn't actively seek His Blessing on their union -- for whatever reason.

Giving homosexuals this right is a hair's-breath away from full marriage and
not to be contemplated.

Thirdly, what practical consequences can it have in society to grant them
such entitlements?

 ** The greater lying illusion that their chosen lifestyle is "normal" equal
in value to heterosexuality -- for knowledgeable Christians to affirm this
is to violently offend their own and these folk's conscience!

 ** To strengthen their argument in favour of adoption,
artificial-insemination thus potentially paving the way for greater
paedophilia and abuse of children.

 ** The general departure of our Christian-inheritance society to an
anything-goes if-ya-into-bestiality-so-what approach to society which is
beginning to surface in the so-called civilised world.
U'huh, intimacy with animals or -- as they would say -- some other animals.

Finally, so should we consider ANY recognition of domestic partnerships
which aren't either marriage or "common law [de facto]" marriages?  What
about superannuation and similar entitlements for those who've been together
for years?

Christians do disagree about such issues.  Personally, I can see no reason
why what are known as co-dependent relationships cannot be registered with
the State i.e. no marriage-mimicking ceremony, just the recognition that two
people consider each other their 'significant other'.  Such recognition can
be given to two sisters or any other couple living together where no sexual
involvement exists.

Homosexuals will argue that without such entitlement, all sorts of business
issues are made more difficult -- I can see their point.  Unless we again
criminalise sodomy we cannot easily dismiss their call for individual-based
entitlement-fairness, I accept that point.

Some homosexuals would be happy with this outcome, they recognise marriage
for what it is, don't want it because they've rejected the Christian
worldview which underpins it:  but the radicals demand equal recognition
with the married!

Stefan Slucki.