[Faith-talk] Praying for the Nation

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 19 02:11:04 UTC 2008

This is a good reminder, so thought I'd share.

PRAYING FOR THE NATION

November 18, 2008 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information
Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143,
fbns at wayoflife.org ; for instructions about subscribing and
unsubscribing or changing
addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers,
intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings,
and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and
peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and
acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to
be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is
one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (1
Timothy 2:1-6).

Paul says that praying for the government should be of the highest
priority. It should be "first of all." Prayer is one of the most
important things in the Christian life and can accomplish more than
political action. As J.B. Buffington wisely observed, "The answer is
not in the White House but in God's house." Through the power of
prayer, Bible-believing churches can have an influence far beyond
their numbers. This is why we need to establish the habit of daily
private intercessory prayer. Paul spoke of "my prayers" (Rom. 1:9).
This is also why we should pray corporately. It is a very sad and
telling fact that many churches no longer have a serious weekly prayer
meeting, and those that do find that it is scantily attended.

The passage gives two reasons why God's people need to pray for their
governments.

First, we need to pray so that we might lead a quiet and peaceable
life in all godliness and honesty (1 Tim. 2:2).

Observe that we are not to pray for peace so that we can pursue our
own selfish aims. We are to pray for peace so that we might be rich
toward God's business rather than toward our own. Too often God's
people turn aside from godliness during times of peace and prosperity;
they seek their own will and pleasure ahead of God's. Look at America
and Canada. Most churches are fat and worldly and lukewarm about God's
work; they are entertaining and mollifying the saints rather than
challenging them to put Christ first. Look at the older saints. The
tendency is to settle down, to seek security and comfort, while being
half-hearted about obeying God and fulfilling the Great Commission.

Observe that we are to live in "all godliness." Too often the churches
that are living in times of peace and prosperity are characterized by
worldliness rather than purity. Observe, too, that we are to live
"honestly." This is in contrast to every form of dishonesty, to
stealing, crooked business practices, borrowing and not repaying,
slacking off on the job, and such.

Second, we need to pray so that the gospel might be preached to all
men (1 Tim. 2:3-6).

The Lord Jesus commanded that the gospel be preached to every person
(Mark 16:15), and in 1 Timothy 2 we see why, because God wants all men
to be saved. This work of world evangelism is called the "great
commission," because it is so emphasized in the New Testament (Mat.
28:19-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:46-48; John 20:21; Acts 1:8). This work
is carried out more effectively in conditions of peace. Some say that
what North American churches need is persecution, and there is some
truth to that, but at the same time persecution hinders the free
preaching of the gospel. Consider China. The governmental persecution
there against the public preaching of the gospel and the free
gathering of non-registered churches and the totalitarian control of
the media, including the internet, means that a large percentage of
the people haven't heard the gospel. The same is true for Muslim
nations such as Iran and Saudi Arabia. Consider the example of Nepal.
Prior to the 1990s, it was illegal to preach the gospel in Nepal and
as a result the number of churches was very small and the vast
majority of the people knew nothing of the gospel. In the early 1990s
there was a change in the constitution and governmental persecution
ceased. Since then, the number of churches has increased dramatically
and multitudes have heard the gospel that otherwise would not have
under the previous conditions.

God would not have exhorted us to pray for kings and those in
authority if He did not intend to answer those prayers. Through the
power of prayer we have the privilege of making a dramatic difference
in this present world.

[Distributed by Way of Life Literature's Fundamental Baptist
Information Service, an e-mail listing for Fundamental Baptists and
other fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians. OUR GOAL IN THIS
PARTICULAR ASPECT OF OUR MINISTRY IS NOT DEVOTIONAL BUT IS TO PROVIDE
INFORMATION TO ASSIST PREACHERS IN THE PROTECTION OF THE CHURCHES IN
THIS APOSTATE HOUR. This material is sent only to those who personally
subscribe to the list. If somehow you have subscribed unintentionally,
following are the instructions for removal. The Fundamental Baptist
Information Service mailing list is automated. To SUBSCRIBE or to
UNSUBSCRIBE or to CHANGE ADDRESSES or to RE-SUBSCRIBE UNDER A NEW
ADDRESS, go to http://www.wayoflife.org/fbis/subscribe.html. If you
have any trouble with this, please let us know. And please be patient
with us. We do not ignore any unsubscribe request, but we cannot
always get to your request immediately as each person involved with
maintaining the Way of Life web site does this only on a very part
time basis and is busy with many other major activities, such as
pastoring and missionary work. We take up a quarterly offering to fund
this ministry, and those who use the materials are expected to
participate (Galatians 6:6) if they can. Some of the articles are from
O Timothy magazine, which is in its 25th year of publication. Way of
Life publishes many helpful books. The catalog is located at the web
site: http://wayoflife.org/catalog/catalog.htm Way of Life Literature,
P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061. 866-295-4143,
fbns at wayoflife.org. We do not solicit funds from those who do not
agree with our preaching and who are not helped by these publications,
but from those who are. OFFERINGS can be made at
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/offering.html . PAYPAL offerings can be
made to https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=dcloud%40wayoflife.org ]