[Faith-talk] Listening to God - In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Everett Gavel everettg at successfuladaptations.com
Fri Nov 21 10:33:28 UTC 2008

Good Morning,

I found this devotional today, highly relevant to me -
and thought it might prove the same to others.  It's
possibly my weakest point.  I don't 'do' silence well,
and almost always have something playing in the
background when possible.  I'm sure there have been
times I've not heard God when He's saying something
specific to me.  How about you?  Read below and if
you're up for it, share your thoughts?

God Bless Your Reading,
Everett

Listening to God
In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley - Nov. 21, 2008
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/in_touch/

~ Psalm 81:8-14 ~
8 "Hear, O my people, and I will warn you--
       if you would but listen to me, O Israel!
9 You shall have no foreign god among you;
       you shall not bow down to an alien god.
10 I am the LORD your God,
       who brought you up out of Egypt.
       Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.
11 "But my people would not listen to me;
       Israel would not submit to me.
12 So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts
       to follow their own devices.
13 "If my people would but listen to me,
       if Israel would follow my ways,
14 how quickly would I subdue their enemies
       and turn my hand against their foes!

Does the heavenly Father still speak to His children?
It's a question that may be on your mind right now. We
all have this need to know that the Lord is still
communicating with us. We crave the certainty that He
hears us--and that He answers.

In Psalm 81:8-14, we get a clear picture of God's
heart: He yearns for Israel to listen to Him. Think
about that. Here's the almighty Creator of the universe
pleading with His chosen people to hear His voice. It
almost doesn't make sense, does it? Why on earth would
the Israelites turn a deaf ear to their sustaining,
omnipotent heavenly Father?

However, God's message is sent to inattentive ears. He
says, "Oh, Israel, if only you would listen to Me. But
My people did not listen to My voice. Oh, that My
people would listen to Me!" (Psalm 81:8-14,
paraphrase).

Thousands of years later, I'm certain that same
question still rings through heaven. We can practically
hear the Lord saying, "Oh, church, if only you would
listen to Me. But My church did not listen to My voice.
Oh, that My church would listen to Me!"

No doubt, you've heard God say the same thing to you
personally. We seem to fall out of touch with Him at
times. We put ourselves in one corner and restrict the
Lord to someplace "over there" and out of the way. We
somehow seem to lose track of His voice in our lives.
And yet, though we may not hear Him, He is still
talking.

Quiet your spirit today. Open God's Word and invite Him
to speak to you anew. And then, listen.