[Faith-talk] sound equipment and the blind

Everett Gavel everettg at successfuladaptations.com
Sat Nov 22 23:31:18 UTC 2008

Hello Andrew, and all,

Unfortunately, Andrew, your worship pastor sounds
typically ignorant in their lack of any real
understanding of the situation.  Please print out and
share with him these replies you have gotten from some
of us here. Or forward them to him via e-mail so he can
ask his own questions if he'd like.  Be careful though,
as he might be surprised to know blind people can use
computers, too.  ;-)

Sarcasm aside now, though, of course you can do the
sound board if you wish, and if anyone there is loving
enough, caring enough, and doesn't let their typical
pride get in the way of truly helping.  All they need
do is show you the first and maybe second time, same as
they would a sighted member of the church.  It's your
job, of course, to record or remember what you're
taught, and to put labels or markings, and whatever
else you need, to get the job done.  It's their job to
give you a chance and show you just as they would
anyone new they brought in.  Or should I say to remind
them, anyone that God brought in to them.  God is
sovereign.  We are all exactly where He wants us at
this moment.  We are here to work with all those around
us, whom God has also placed there.

Andrew, this is of course more for your pastor and
sound guy than you, but, there are lots of people who
happen to be blind, that are computer users, and
computer trainers.  There are ham radio experts, radio
station employees and even on-air, radio DJs.  The guy
here on WDOK 102.5 out of Cleveland on the Morning show
happens to be blind.  It's his show, he's the main
dude.  So what if he's blind?  He's found ways to work
with all the equipment, as does anyone who is serious
about working.

Right now at Akron U I'm aware of at least one totally
blind student going through the radio/TV part of a
Communications degree.  She's currently learning how to
use, and how to access and make accessible, all the
necessary equipment that is used these days.

Additionally, Andrew, there are sound mixers, recording
personnel and recording artists, all who happen to be
blind.  Beyond that there are Ph.D's who are blind.
There are also engineers, logicians, statisticians,
college professors, and teachers all of whom happen to
be blind.  There are parents who are blind, that have
raised kids and are raising kids.  There are blind
college students every year getting their degrees with
a higher grade point average than either of those guys
in your church probably had, if they went through
college.  Blindness has nothing to do with ignorance or
ability, as your church members just proved once again.
Now, they may not be ignorant on any other point except
blindness, but they sound as if they surely are at the
moment, on this subject.  And so it's our job, our
challenge, to share the truth with them in a way they
'get,' and absorb. I hope they do not push their own
current level of ignorance on blindness onto others.
God help them.  May He bless them with His wisdom,
enough so that it overpowers their own supposed
knowledge on this topic.

Don't be stubborn or prideful in stating your case,
Andrew.  But please don't bak down from the simple
truth of it all, either.  And may God bless your
efforts on this front. Hold yourself well, and
follow-up and follow through, and show them you're
capable - if you believe yourself to be.  I  mean no
disrespect here.  But truly, there are some who just
aren't capable, though it has nothing really to do with
their blindness.  But some just give a poor showing of
themselves - more often than not - as a person who is
blind.  Many people let themselves be taken care of too
much, and so it's as much our fault in those times as
anyone's that others around us may not think us
capable, y'know?  Though you've only thus far given a
few messages here, you don't seem like such a person,
thankfully.  But it is easy for us to take the easier
way out and let others do too much for us simply
because they too often try, thinking we probably can't.
And when we give in and take that easy way out, it
lessens our level of capability in others' minds, I
believe.

Anyway, Sir, God bless your efforts, and the
relationship between all of you there.  We'll be
praying on this for you, and for them.  I have no doubt
it wil ultimately turn out for His Glory.  Our God is a
sovereign God.  Thank You Jesus, for your love and for
your grace.  Please help us to have more of both, for
eachother and all around us.

God's in charge!  Thank You, Jesus.

Paul said it well...
"I long to see you that I may impart to you some
spiritual gift to make you strong--
That is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by
each other's faith."
~ Romans 1:11-12

Strive On!
Everett