[Faith-talk] How to Conduct Yourself During Preaching

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Fri Aug 28 16:51:38 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I just read this, and think it worth passing on.
May you be blessed and encouraged.

Blessings,

Linda

[]

Fundamental Baptist Information Service
August 27, 2009
HOW TO CONDUCT YOURSELF DURING PREACHING

Updated August 27, 2009 (first published June 26,
2002) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist
Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron,
MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns at wayoflife.org; for
instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing
or changing addresses, see the information
paragraph at the end of the article) –

“But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how
thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of
God, which is the church of the living God, the
pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Timothy 3:15).

1. SIT RESPECTFULLY AND ALERTLY

Examples of what not to do: leaning on your
elbows with your head down and chewing gum. Such
things send signals that you are not interested
in what the preacher is saying. Remember that
others are watching you. Your attitude and very
bodily posture affects the preacher, those
sitting around you, and the entire atmosphere of the service

2. DON’T DISTRACT OTHERS

Examples of things that distract others are
talking and writing notes back and forth between
persons, making noise (i.e., cracking your
fingers), playing with babies, and children
looking at the people behind them. Parents need
to be aware of what their children are doing and
make certain that they are not distracting someone.

Another example is leaving the service to go to
the restroom. Parents should make sure that their
children don’t develop this distracting habit. It
is extremely dishonoring to the Word of God that
is being preached. There is plenty of time to go
to the bathroom before and after the services. Of
course, if an individual has a medical or health
problem that requires him or her to leave the
service, that is a different matter altogether.
Such a person can sit in the back and slip out quietly.

3. LISTEN WELL

LISTEN WITH COMPASSION TOWARD THE PREACHER. God
uses all kinds of men and not all are powerful,
fascinating speakers. It appears that Paul wasn’t
(2 Cor. 10:10). Jonathan Edwards preached one of
the most famous of sermons, “Sinners in the Hands
of an Angry God,” but Edwards was not a great
speaker. In fact, he simply read the sermon. The
preacher who was instrumental in the conversion
of Charles Spurgeon was not a mighty speaker.
Spurgeon described him as a very simple,
uninteresting speaker, yet how greatly God used
him! Remember that God can use weak men. An
example is Solomon. He had tremendous problems,
but God used him to write three important books
of the Bible, including the book of Proverbs,
which is the book of wisdom. Our eyes must be
upon God and not upon the preacher. Listen to the
preacher as you would want people to listen to you. Avoid a critical attitude.

LISTEN PRAYERFULLY. Nothing significant is
accomplished apart from prayer (Rom. 12:12; Eph.
6:18; Col. 4:2; 1 Thess. 5:17). Pray for
yourself. Pray for the preacher. Pray for others who are in attendance.

LISTEN ATTENTIVELY. Listen as if Jesus Christ
were speaking. 1 Peter 4:11 says the speaker is
to be the very oracle of God, meaning His
mouthpiece. If you listen carefully and seek
something from the Lord, you can be edified even
from a seemingly boring message. Don’t let your
mind wander to other things. Don’t do something
else when you should be listening to the
preaching. I have seen people read novels in
church! More often they read the hymnal or pass
notes or other such things. You won’t get
anything from the preaching if you don’t listen attentively.

LISTEN WITH AN OPEN, SUBMISSIVE HEART. God’s
invitation is extended throughout the message and
not merely at the end. Let God speak to you,
reprove, rebuke, and exhort you. Don’t think that
the preaching is for someone else. Don’t make
excuses for your sins and faults.

LISTEN WITH FAITH (Heb. 4:1-2). The Word of God
is ineffective unless it is “mixed with faith.”
Some listen to preaching as a form of
entertainment. They enjoy it but they don’t
believe it enough to change how they live. This
was how the Jews were listening to the prophet
Ezekiel: “And they come unto thee as the people
cometh, and they sit before thee as my people,
and they hear thy words, but they will not do
them: for with their mouth they shew much love,
but their heart goeth after their covetousness.
And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song
of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play
well on an instrument: for they hear thy words,
but they do them not” (Ezek. 33:31-32).

LISTEN DISCERNINGLY. The Bible warns that we must
not put our trust in man (Jer. 17:5). We must
carefully test all preaching by the Word of God
(Acts 17:11; 1 Cor. 14:29; 1 Thess. 5:21).

LISTEN STUDIOUSLY (2 Tim. 2:15). Have paper and
pen ready so that you can capture something from
the message. Write things in your Bible
(important things, such as cross references,
definitions, important thoughts). By the way, you
should have your own Bible rather than merely
looking on with someone else. Take notes of the
important points. Write down things to study
later, things to check later, and things to share
with others. This will help you remember what is preached.

4. TREAT THE INVITATION SERIOUSLY

Respond to the invitation as Lord leads, and pray
for others. Be careful not to distract others
during the invitation. Be conscious of their needs.

[Distributed by Way of Life Literature's
Fundamental Baptist Information Service, an
e-mail listing for Fundamental Baptists and other
fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians. OUR
GOAL IN THIS PARTICULAR ASPECT OF OUR MINISTRY IS
NOT DEVOTIONAL BUT IS TO PROVIDE INFORMATION TO
ASSIST PREACHERS IN THE PROTECTION OF THE
CHURCHES IN THIS APOSTATE HOUR. This material is
sent only to those who personally subscribe to
the list. If somehow you have subscribed
unintentionally, following are the instructions
for removal. The Fundamental Baptist Information
Service mailing list is automated. To SUBSCRIBE,
go to
http://www.wayoflife.org/wayoflife/subscribe.html
.  TO UNSUBSCRIBE OR CHANGE ADDRESSES, go to the
very bottom of any email received from us and
click "Manage My Subscription." If you have any
trouble with this, please let us know. We take up
a quarterly offering to fund this ministry, and
those who use the materials are expected to
particip ate (Galatians 6:6) if they can. Some of
the articles are from O Timothy magazine, which
is in its 26th year of publication. Way of Life
publishes many helpful books. The catalog is
located at the web site:
http://www.wayoflife.org/publications/index.html.
Way of Life Literature, P.O. Box 610368, Port
Huron, MI 48061. 866-295-4143,
fbns at wayoflife.org. We do not solicit funds from
those who do not agree with our preaching and who
are not helped by these publications, but only
from those who are. OFFERINGS can be made at
http://www.wayoflife.org/wayoflife/makeanoffering.html.
PAYPAL offerings can be made to
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=dcloud%40wayoflife.org]

WAY OF LIFE LITERATURE SHARING POLICY: Much of
our material is available for free, such as the
hundreds of articles at the Way of Life web site.
Other items we sell to help fund our very
expensive literature, video, and foreign church
planting ministry. Way of Life’s content falls
into two categories: sharable and non-sharable.
Things that we encourage you to share include the
audio sermons, video presentations, O Timothy
magazine, and FBIS articles. You are free to make
copies of these at your own expense and share
them with friends and family. Things we do not
want copied and distributed freely are items like
the Fundamental Baptist Digital Library, print
edition of our books, PDFs of the books, etc.
These items have taken years to produce at
enormous expense in time and money, and we need
the income from the sale of these to help fund
the ministry. We trust that your Christian
honesty will preserve the integrity of this policy.

NOW AVAILABLE IN E-BOOK FORMAT
Three Powerful Books on Bible Version Issue
-Carry them on your computer
-No shipping charges
-Half price
-Available immediately
in PDF Format

[]

775 pages - Download price $14.95
(Book price, $29.95)

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1017027370&msgid=1587518&act=TPQ6&c=399450&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1shoppingcart.com%2FSecureCart%2FSecureCart.aspx%3Fmid%3D430DCE03-6025-4B9E-8674-9C0A37973075%26pid%3D17c5c402de8d06fde0f8c8e2756f94af>
[]

[]
  423 pages, Download price, $9.95
(Book price, $19.95)

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1017027370&msgid=1587518&act=TPQ6&c=399450&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1shoppingcart.com%2FSecureCart%2FSecureCart.aspx%3Fmid%3D430DCE03-6025-4B9E-8674-9C0A37973075%26pid%3D2050d186ca01444cb519997ea07c40b8>
[]

[]

292 pages - Download price, $7.50
(Book price, $14.95)

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1017027370&msgid=1587518&act=TPQ6&c=399450&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1shoppingcart.com%2FSecureCart%2FSecureCart.aspx%3Fmid%3D430DCE03-6025-4B9E-8674-9C0A37973075%26pid%3Df9b2cfeb4c9c4891b17d15d416c4b13c>
[]

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1017027370&msgid=1587518&act=TPQ6&c=399450&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wayoflife.org>www.wayoflife.org

This message was sent from FBIS News Service to
mentink at frontiernet.net. It was sent from: Way of
Life, PO Box 610368 , Port Huron, MI 48061. You
can modify/update your subscription via the link below.

<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>Email Marketing by
<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
iContact - Try It Free!

[]