[Faith-talk] Need feedback.

jaybee jayjohnson66 at att.net
Sat Aug 7 14:32:57 UTC 2010

Hi list.  My wife Ora and I are both blind and we attend a Local church here
in Birmingham.  Ora, my wife, is a doctoral student and is in the process of
writing her dissertation on blindness in the church.  She would like to know
basically how you and others are treated by your congregation.  She does not
plan to use names, but she does plan to use the information.  This subject
has been broached before but this time, I am taking notes. In our
congregation, for example, my wife has difficulties with the treatment by
the ladies.  They are very cordial, but they do not include her in their
circle.  They do not ask her to go with them on ladies' outings, they do not
ask her to bring food to our fellowship meals.  As stated, they ar very
friendly toward her, but they just do not know how to approach her, and it
is not just this congregation, but it has been about the same with her over
the past forty plus years.  On the other hand, we find that the men are much
more opened-armed toward both of us. I, for example, am accepted in
participating in just about every aspect of our service.  Any feedback would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Jaybee
"Be not the first by whom the new is tried, nor yet the last to lay the old
aside."  (Alexander Pope)