[Faith-talk] volunteer service to the disadvantaged

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:07:38 UTC 2010

Hi Ashley,
I have done quite a bit of volunteering at homeless shelters and food
pantries and was always able to find something productive to do. I did
usually go with others who knew me which really helped. Having a
friend to go with at first might help you discover which jobs they
have available which are more or less doable. Also, being a regular
volunteer will help as you can have more time to get familiar with the
way things are done and where things are kept etc. Even if the staff
is unsure about how you can help, finding one thing you can do will
help them warm up to you and maybe give you more opportunities to
serve.

Some things I found to do are: washing dishes at the homeless shelter,
sorting cans, bottles, and jars at the food pantry, filling bags in an
assembly line type set up at the food pantry or just opening up
plastic grocery bags to give to others going through the assembly
line.

Hope this helps.

Greg