[Faith-talk] FW: [C F 4 A] Today's Encouragement, Thurs, Oct 7th

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:22:41 UTC 2010

Original Message:
From: "Steph" <smathews at hctc.net>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: [C F 4 A] Today's Encouragement, Thurs, Oct 7th
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:13:17 -0500

Why Am I Scared to Pray Boldly? | Encouragement For Today | Proverbs 31
MinistriesWhy Am I Scared to Pray Boldly?
7 Oct 2010 Lysa TerKeurst

"...the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16b

(NIV)

I have to admit I'm sometimes scared to pray boldly.

It's not at all that I don't believe God can do anything. I absolutely
do.
I'm a wild about Jesus girl. Wild in my willingness. Wild in my
obedience.
Wild in my adventures with God.

After all, I think Jesus would rather reign in a wild stallion than kick
dead mule any day of the week.

So, my hesitation isn't rooted in any kind of doubt about God.

It's more rooted in a doubt about myself and my ability to absolutely
discern the will of God. The reality is sometimes God chooses not to do
things. And if His will is no- while I am boldly praying for a yes- it
makes
me feel out of step with God.

Can you relate?

I so desperately want to stay in the will of God that I find myself
praying
with clauses sometimes. Like, "God please heal my friend but if it's Your

will to take her, I will trust You." I wonder why I don't just boldly
pray,
"God, please heal my friend." And then stand confidently that my prayers
were not in vain no matter what the outcome.

The reality is, my prayers don't change God. But, I am convinced prayer
changes me. Praying boldly boots me out of that stale place of religious
habit into authentic connection with God Himself.

Prayer opens my spiritual eyes to see things I can't see on my own. And I
am
convinced prayer matters. Prayers are powerful and effective if prayed
from
the position of a righteous heart (James 5:16).

So, prayer does make a difference - a life-changing, mind-blowing,
earth-rattling difference. We don't need to know how. We don't need to
know
when. We just need to kneel confidently and know the tremors of a s imple

Jesus girl's prayers, extend far wide and far high and far deep.

Letting that absolute truth slosh over into my soul, snuffs out the
flickers
of hesitation. It bends my stiff knees. And it ignites a fresh, bold and
even more wild fire within. Not bold as in bossy and demanding. But bold
as
in I love my Jesus with all my heart so why would I offer anything less
than
an ignited prayer life.

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your
Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret,
will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep babbling like pagans, for
they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like
them, for your father knows what you need before you ask him," (Jesus
speaking in Matthew 6:6-8, NIV).

What do you need to pray boldly about today? Don't delay - go ahead and
ask.
And ask again. Not so that we can cause God to move, rather so that we
can
position our souls to be able to see our sweet Jesus move in any which
way
He pleases.

Dear Lord, I believe that You are the giver of life and Lord over all
things. Thank You for providing me with exactly what I need, even though
it
isn't always what I may want. I trust that You have my best interest in
mind
today. I desire to have an authentic connection with You right now. I
need
You Lord. Show me the way. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources: Lysa will be speaking in over 40 cities this year and
she'd love to meet you! To check for a city near you, click here.

Visit Lysa's blog for a bold prayer every mom should pray over her
children.

If this devotion resonated with you, you'll want to read Becoming More
Than
a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa TerKeurst

Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl DVD set

When you purchase resources through Proverbs 31 Ministries, you touch
eternity because your purchase supports the many areas of hope-giving
ministry we provide at no cost. We wish we could, but we simply can't
compete with prices offered by huge online warehouses. Therefore, we are
extremely grateful for each and every pu rchase you make with us. Thank
you!

Application Steps: Write down three bold prayers you would like to pray
today. Pray them again tomorrow. And again the next day. Pray them for the

next month even. And know with full assurance that the tremors of your
prayers will extend far wide and far high and far deep. Pray and wait for
God to respond.

Reflections: How have I been praying lately? In boldness or in timidity?
Why?

Do I believe that my prayers matter?

How can I position my soul today to be able to see Jesus move in any way
He
pleases?

Power Verses:
2 Kings 19:19, "Now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that
all
kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God." (NIV)

Matthew 15:25, "The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she

said." Luke 17:5, "The apost les said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!'"

© 2010 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries
616-G Matthews-Mint Hill Road, Matthews, NC 28105
877-P31-HOME (877-731-4663)