[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries - Don't Give Up!

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:52:43 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Senior Living Ministries - Don't Give Up!
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:03:59 -0400

              On July 4, 1952, a young woman named Florence Chadwick
waded into the water off Catalina Island. On the fog-covered morning, she
intended to swim the channel from the island to the California coast.

                        I press on toward the goal to win the prize for
which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
                        --Philippians 3:14

            Florence wasn't a rookie when it came to long-distance
swimming. She had been the first woman to swim the English Channel in both
directions. But the water was numbing cold that morning and the fog was so
thick she could hardly see two feet in front of her. Several times, sharks
had to be driven away with rifle fire from the boats in her party.

            She swam for more than fifteen hours before she asked to be
taken out of the water. Her trainer coaxed her to swim on since they were
so close to land, but all Florence saw ahead was the thick fog. She quit
only half a mile from her goal.

            Later she said, "I'm not excusing myself, but if I could have
seen the land, I might have made it."

            Florence didn't fail because of fear, exhaustion, or the cold
water. It was the fog.

            We often fail too--not because we're afraid or tired-but
because we lose sight of the goal. This is surely why Paul wanted to remind
believers to "press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has
called [you] heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14).

            Two months after her failed attempt at swimming the length of
the channel, Florence waded into the water off the same beach on Catalina
Island, swam the full distance, and set a new speed record--all because she
could clearly see her goal.

            Prayer Challenge
            Ask God to clearly present you with the goals He wants you to
strive toward. Pray that He would make your path clear in fulfilling His
call in your life.

                  Click here to support the continuation of this
e-devotional ministry.

                  © 2010 Senior Living Ministries  |    Forward to a
Friend