[Faith-talk] About modesty and this discussion.

Alan Wheeler awheeler65 at windstream.net
Sat Dec 3 01:09:44 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,
Yes, modesty is a bit subjective. It all depends on your view of what
modesty is. As an example, a lot of women in the Seventh-day adventist
church will not wear their wedding rings to church because they believe it
can be seen as showing off or being immodest. Others don't care so much and
wear them anyway.

Now, regarding this whole discussion and, as Josh put it, the bickering. We
all need to remember this old saying:

"In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, and in all things charity."

In other words, just because your view is different from someone else's view
doesn't make you right
just different from them.

It's important to remember this passage from Matthew:

Matthew 7

1 ¶“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged.
2 For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in
judging is the standard by which you will be judged.
3 ¶“And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in
your own?
4 How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of
that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye?
5 Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see
well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.

I hope this message helps some people,

Blessings,

Alan