[Faith-talk] What Have You Done?

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:49:30 UTC 2011

Have you ever woken up in the morning with a mental list of all the things you wanted to accomplish that day, only to go to bed that night and realize that you had not crossed even one thing off your list?

I had plenty of days like that.  Some nights I could not even sleep.  I lay awake thinking of what to add to the next day's list that was formulating in my head.  But when morning came, either the phone kept me tied up, my Mom needed more attention than normal, unexpected house guests stopped by to visit for a whole lot longer time than I was prepared to give them, or the weather just did not cooperate when the outside chores needed to be done.

At those times I felt as if the entire day had been wasted.  Losing a day is bad enough; but how would you feel about losing a whole year?

There are things that I wanted to get done, but when I look back on the year that has just passed, I find I have not been very successful in getting many of them accomplished.  That can be downright depressing!

Where have I been? What have I done? What has kept my mind so preoccupied that I have not had time for God the way I should have?

While I could find the time surfing for interesting Internet radio stations, I could not find enough time to witness to one person.  While my parents were able to scrape together enough money to go on a relaxing vacation, I could not find any extra pennies for church or missionaries that needed it.  There was plenty of time for calling friends on the phone and spend hours in senseless chatter, but there never seemed to be enough time to call and give a word of encouragement to someone I knew was struggling.

What have you accomplished in the last year? What will you accomplish in the next?

Prayerfully, with God's help, make a to-do list of things that you feel God has been telling you to get done.  Keep it someplace where it can easily be seen, and one by one cross items off the list this coming year.  Feel free to add to it if God keeps giving you more directions.

Are you ready for a very busy year?

The above article was written by the undersigned in late December 2009.  Since then, my life has taken a dramatic turn for the better, thanks to prayerfully listening to God and the constant prayer support of His people.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing brand new quotes will be presented for the new year, I am your obedient servant of the One who lived an earthly existence, died to pay for your and my sins and now lives forever to bring us His salvation and peace, Paul Barnabas.