[Faith-talk] FW: [masterslist] Resolutions

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:49:08 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "Dean Masters" <dwmasters15 at gmail.com>
To: "masters list" <masterslist at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [masterslist] Resolutions
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:34:04 -0500

Resolutions
By Skip Heitzig

Every year, about 40 to 45 percent of people in this country will make
resolutions for the New Year. That's great. But only about six percent of
those people
will keep them!

I want to invite you to make a resolution based on 2 Peter 3:17-18. "You
therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also
fall from
your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but
grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To
Him
be
the glory both now and forever." Peter warns that some people will fall
away
from the faith, and he encourages believers to stay strong.

There are three words I want you to put in your resolution. One is
"grow."
This is the year your relationship with God could really take off. I pray

that
none of us would have the notion that we've "arrived," that we're fully
mature. If you have walked with the Lord a long time, great! But only when

you're
dead and in God's presence have you "arrived." Until that time, we should
be
adding to our faith the things Peter mentions in chapter 1, verses 5-7:
virtue,
knowledge, etc.

The second word is "know." Growing and knowing go together, but knowing
is a
little different. Jesus said we should love the Lord with all our heart,
soul,
and mind (Matthew 22:37). Paul said to be transformed by the renewing of
your mind (Romans 12:2). We need to engage the mind, to think clearly, to
grow
by knowing. This could be the year that you give yourself to seriously
studying the Bible. Get into the Word so you can know who He is, and know
the truth.
As you know the Bible you'll add discernment, the ability to tell what is

true from what is false.

And third, "go." It's my prayer that you'll get up and go, that you'll
serve
in some capacity, to make some kind of difference, and in so doing
glorify
Jesus Christ in your community. It's our privilege as believers to serve
Him.

Just as you are saved by grace, you are kept by grace, and you're going
need God's fortitude to keep this resolution every day of the year. But
Jesus
promised he would be with us to the end of the age. So what do we have to

worry about, if He has us in His hand?

A lot of people look to the future with fear. As believers we should be
confident and joyful about the future. So I want to wish you a Happy New
Year, and
I want to wish you the joy of the Lord. If you're not prone to be a
joyful
person, I pray that the Lord would change that, that the joy of the Lord
would
be your strength.

Copyright © 2011 by Connection Communications. All rights reserved.

For more from Skip Heitzig, visit
ConnectionRadio.org,
and listen to today's broadcast of The Connection with
Skip Heitzig
at OnePlace.com.

You may also like:

THIS WEEK
Preaching Daily
Resources by pastors for pastors from Preaching.com

Click to read online >>
----

THIS WEEK
A Woman's Walk
Weekly workplace devotional from God's Love at Work

Click to read online >>
----

----

Free eBook Offer from CUFI!
----

Give Orphans Shoes this Christmas
----

Free DVD- Magdalena: Through Her Eyes
----

Private Christian Education
----

Free Book about Christian Persecution
----
Featured Video
Ministry from
LightSource.com

Adrian Rogers
Love Worth Finding
See more ministry videos at LightSource.com

Today on Christianity.com

----

Send a FREE Ecard

More Ecards

New Year Desires

Rejoice in the Lord

Happy New Year

Year of Favor

table end

Read about Salem Web Network

Send us your Feedback

© 2011 Salem Web Network. All rights reserved.
111 Virginia Street, Suite 500
Richmond, VA 23219

Salem Web Network website properties include:
list of 11 items
. Crosswalk.com
. OnePlace.com
. LightSource.com
. CrossCards.com
. Christianity.com
. BibleStudyTools.com
. ChristianCollege.com
. GodTube.com
. GospelTube.com
. Jesus.org
. TheFish.com
list end

Dean Masters, owner of the Masters List

I personally know someone who is literally older than dirt.
If you would like to meet him ask me to introduce you.