[Faith-talk] There is now neither male nor female, but all are one in Christ Jesus.

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 20:56:34 UTC 2011

Hi John, I'd be curious to know the specific texts you are referring to when
you say "much better texts in the original languages".  I'm not disputing
them, just wondered about specifics.  I.e., how are the original texts
different from what KJ started from? And which translations do you think are
preferable?
I agree that changing the gender biases only distorts things and reflects
our own cultural biases and not history.    I am reminded of how the tv and
movie industry butchers / rewrites history by putting modern values on
historical persons, or even on fictional characters.  I don't think that a
person can get an understanding of history by reading a distorted version,
even if it is politically correct.  I do believe in political correctness
where it applies to our treatment of our fellow man, but I have seen
fictionalized versions of historical persons that show no understanding of
the fact that those persons may have had views at that time that would be
politically incorrect now.  For example, even the diary of Anne Frank (movie
depiction) turned into a plug for women's rights and stuck in a romance
between Anne and Peter that was not there in her original diary.
I know there are budding fiction writers on this list, but even fiction can
be truthful -- Jesus used fiction in his teachings, but he didn't insert a
torrid love affair between the good samaritan and the inn keeper.  That
would detract from the intent of the story.  I only have to wonder what the
point of some movie and tv dramas are.
Anyway, am I rambling on about nothing, or does anyone else have a comment
or 2?
--le