[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Tricks and Deceit

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Jan 22 14:25:35 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "TONY_at_FloridaHealth" <FloridaHealth21 at verizon.net>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Tricks and Deceit
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 07:40:10 -0500

Untitled Document

                  Tricks and Deceit

                  Saturday, January 22, 2011

                  "Be hostile to the Midianites...for they have been
hostile to you with their tricks, with which they have deceived you.'"
Numbers 25:16-18 NASB
                  The people of Midian were determined to stop God's
people. So they joined with the Moabites to hire Balaam to curse the
Israelites. This plot failed, but soon some of the Israelites succumbed to
temptation and engaged in idolatry with the Midianites. Determined to keep
the Israelite community pure, God commanded that all who had given
themselves to false gods were to be eliminated.
                        As they dealt with this crisis, an Israeli man
brought a Midianite woman into the community. This was a horrible violation
of God's laws. Aaron's son, Phinehas, earned special praise by piercing
this man and woman with a spear.
                        While concerned about keeping His people pure,
God also was angered by the Midianites. What angered Him? The Bible uses
two related Hebrews words: They had "deceived" His people and been guilty
of "tricks."
                        This was conduct God hated (Proverbs 6:17-19). He
abhors a person of deceit (Psalm 5:6). He says those who practice "deceit
shall not dwell within My house," and those who speak falsehood "shall not
maintain his position before me" (Psalm 101:7).
                        Ultimately, lies and deceit have a spiritual
origin. Jesus told us that Satan is the "father of lies," and "there is no
truth in him" (John 8:44). Those who lie and deceive are simply following
his example and influence.
                        Even Believers can be guilty of lies and deceit.
Instead of being people of truth, totally committed to God, they can resort
to trickery in their business dealings, in interpersonal relationships, in
families and marriages, and even in churches.
                        If you want to please God, seek to eliminate
deceit from your life. Don't succumb to the temptation of trickery.
Instead, cultivate a life of purity. Speak the truth. Be an honest
ambassador of God's Kingdom in everything you do.

                  Today's Inspirational Prayer

                  Father, cleanse me of sin and help me to be pure in
Your sight. Use me to impact lives with the Gospel. I seek first Your
Kingdom. In Jesus' name. Amen.
                  Further Reading: Numbers 25:16-18 NASB

                     VIEW DEVOTIONALS ARCHIVE
                       FORWARD TO A FRIEND
                       SUBMIT A PRAYER REQUEST
                        Keep up with Inspiration

            This email was sent by: Inspiration Ministries
            3000 WorldReach Drive Indian Land, SC, 29707, USA