[Faith-talk] more truth

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 06:13:06 UTC 2011

Nicki,
  I totally respect where you're coming from here.  We've all seen how
contention and arguing can divide us.  But I think we really need to
talk, and I think John just gave us a fine example of how it should be
done.  Here's how I see it.  If we don't honestly get to know each
other, how can we really get along?  If we don't seek to understand
our differences, as well as our more numerous similarities, how can we
really love each other?  It's honestly been my experience that, the
more you openly share your feelings and faith, especially with people
who don't totally agree, the more respect you gain for those around
you.  It's perfectly ok to talk about disagreements-I think it's fair
to say most problems in the world come from people deciding *not* to
talk.  I honestly think the more we have a sincere and open dialogue
(not an argument), the more people on all sides are built up and I'll
even say sanctified.  It's a beautiful thing, I've seen it and been a
part of it!  When people are willing to listen more than talk, and
willing to stop trying to prove they're right and start working
together with people from all faith traditions to make the world a
brighter place for their children...it's honestly the most inspiring
thing I've ever seen.  So I say, to all who want to come together and
learn and grow...keep talking!  Keep listening!  We may disagree, but
we honestly can make our dialogue a powerful force for good when we
stop procelyting, start listening, and open our minds and hearts to
each other.  Is Joshua's oneness belief respectable?  Absolutely!  Is
the Trinitarian belief shared by most Christians respectable?  Most
definitely!  Is the Mormon belief in three distinct persons who make
up the godhead respectable?  You bet!  And, just because we disagree
on points of doctrine, which we need to explore and analyze with love
and respect in order to really understand each other, that doesn't
mean we can't join hands and work for a better future for all of us
and all of our children.  If we don't, if we refuse to talk, our
future is bleak indeed!
  Sorry.  I didn't mean to ramble.  I obviously feel strongly about
this, and I also totally understand why argument is, quite frankly, of
the devil.  In closing, I'd like to share a song by one of my favorite
artists (who happens to be a Muslim), that says what I just tried to
say better than I can say it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OvbWGgdiEU
  Your friend,
Kirt