[Faith-talk] FW: [reachingouttoothersgroup] Fwd: Living Above Regret

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu May 26 16:31:56 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: LRSBNA at aol.com
To: reachingouttoothersgroup at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [reachingouttoothersgroup] Fwd: Living Above Regret
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 08:48:40 EDT

____________________________________
 From: thecuttingedge at ollison.org
To: lrsbna at aol.com
Sent: 5/25/2011  9:08:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Living Above Regret

_To subscribe or  unsubscribe click here_
(http://www.larryollison.com/subscribe.htm)
Living  Above Regret
by Dr. Larry  Ollison

The world is full of people who live their lives  wondering what might
have
been, what could have been, or what should  have been had they only made
different choices all those years ago.
Too often when a person is young, they lack the wisdom  to make the hard
choices that can benefit their future. Many times the  young make choices
based on the feelings of the moment, or are forced  into choices because
of peer
pressure or parents. Little do they know  that decades later they will
relive those moments of choice and wonder  what could have been, what
would have
been, what should have been.
The Word of God tells us that we are not to look back,  but to stay
focused
on what lies ahead. Athletes are trained to not look  back, but to keep
their eyes on the finish line. Why? Because looking  back will slow you
down
and cause you to focus on where you've been  instead of where you are
going.
Sometimes the past actually does contain unresolved  issues. The
knowledge
of broken lives and broken hearts, as a result of  your bad decisions,
can
sometimes become overwhelming and the temptation  to go back in time can
be
very strong. But almost always it results in  even more broken hearts and
the
pain is multiplied.
So the answer is actually quite simple. We must somehow  resolve the
regret
and get rid of the guilt. But you can't do this on  your own. You need a
strength beyond what is natural and that strength  only comes from the
power
contained in the grace of God.
First, you must make the hard decision to not go back.  You must
recognize
that things wouldn't be the same because the years  have changed
circumstances and the people involved. Secondly, you must  come to the
realization that
you are not a teenager anymore, and make-up  or motorcycles will not
change
that.
Now don't take me wrong. I am not saying that you can't  have old friends

and that you can't resolve old issues. You can. But  resolution involves
love
and forgiveness. Regret involves guilt and  pain.
God's plan is simple. Forgive yourself, walk in love,  and press forward
for the good things that God has ahead for you.
Some people have lived with regret for so many years  that it has become
part of them. Their personalities have developed  and been shaped by the
haunting memories of the past. But, as you look  forward toward the
freshness
that God has for you and you understand the  concept that God saves the
best
for last, then peace will come into your  life and regret will be gone -
at
last.
"I press on, that I may lay hold of that for  which Christ Jesus has also

laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count  myself to have apprehended;
but
one thing I do, forgetting those things  which are behind and reaching
forward
to those things which are ahead, I  press toward the goal for the prize
of
the upward call of God in Christ  Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens  me." (Philippians
4:13)

____________________________________
All rights  reserved. Used by permission.
This article may be reproduced for  teaching purposes but not for
commercial resale
When writing about  this devotional, refer to devotional #0510
_Larry Ollison  Ministries_ (http://www.larryollison.com/)   PO Box 880,
Osage Beach, MO 65065 USA
Prayerfully consider  becoming a partner with us. _click here_
(https://www.eservicepayments.com/cgi-bin/Vanco_ver3.vps?appver3=tYgT1GfNxRU
ldiimjHMvOe7o
iCF-YvHUXG2vRxu5wln2-S9WivSY45MkFB3aOBYlums9tj3wI7okSf0MyMa8upCe6TMAb1B3bT3l

Qj7lxAM=&ver=3) To  order books, CD's and DVD's by Larry Ollison, _click
here_
(http://walkonthewaterbooks.com/wowbooks/index.php?l=product_list&c=1)
Our records indicate we have your  permission to send email to the
following address:  lrsbna at aol.com
Larry Ollison  Ministries never sells, rents, or shares your email
address.