[Faith-talk] King james / audio Bibles

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 01:11:26 UTC 2011

Hi,
Wow if it was 1982 its recent. I know the New king james was not really
rewritten but updated/translated with
modern words.

Early modern English still used thou, thee, and thy. I recall from reading
Shakespeare.
Early English sounds like a different language; I listened to it in
intercultural communication. It sounds very foreign.
Middle English we recognize more of the words we have now and familiar
grammar and syntax.

Okay so if King James is early modern English, what is the New King James
written in? Standard English we know today?
If it was copyright 1982 I suspect that.
it was translated to words we know today.
If I remember correctly, before translated to English in the Middle Ages,
the Bible was in Latin. Theerefore scholars and monks could only read it.
Then I think Greek and German came next. Then Guttenberg copied the
bible with his invention of the printing press. Prior to that, monks
transcribed then by hand and they were so valuable that they were either
locked, stored, or chained up to prevent it from being stolen.

Thanks for explaining.

Ashley
I found King James hard to understand, but may give New king james a try
since you say it was