[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Charles Stanley's Devotional for November 25, 2011

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Nov 25 19:27:47 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Charles Stanley's Devotional for November 25,
2011
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:02:47 -0500

                  November 25, 2011
                  Enjoying Life
                  Ecclesiastes 2:1-23

                  Not only was King Solomon the wisest man who ever lived
(1 Kings 3:12); he was also blessed with wealth beyond imagination and the
privilege of building God's temple. So we might expect him to know deep
contentment.

                  In searching for that deep fulfillment, Solomon devoted
himself to exploring all kinds of things. Ecclesiastes tells us that he
indulged in the pleasures of the world, even dabbling in pursuits he
recognized as folly to see if there was anything worthwhile in them. But
the satisfaction Solomon sought evaded him, and he concluded that
self-indulgence was without value.

                  To feel content, the king tried another avenue:
personal achievement. He undertook great projects, such as building houses
for himself, improving the environment with gardens and parks, and carrying
out an extensive irrigation project (Eccl. 2:6). The king had everything he
could ever need to enjoy life, but in the end, he concluded it was all
without meaning.

                  The story has a familiar ring, doesn't it? Our world
has many highly educated and successful people, but there is also much
dissatisfaction with life. Our culture pursues pleasure and does not accept
limits on its passions. Sadly, such lack of restraint has ruined countless
lives.

                  Solomon had the wisdom and resources to accomplish
whatever he chose to do. Yet the goals he pursued brought no lasting
satisfaction. He concluded that the best course was to obey God (12:13).
True enjoyment comes when we align ourselves with His will. Any other way
is meaningless.

---

                  Devotional Archives | In Touch Ministries