[Faith-talk] An Addition to the Post on Claude Ely from Joshua

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 00:39:32 UTC 2011

Joshua,
Thanks for clarifying. Nice music history. I definitely have heard of
Sacred Harp singing, but was not aware it was part of southern gospel
music.  Also, I have heard of bluegrass; that music is played on NPR
sometimes, but not bluegrass gospel.

Shaped note singing was common among the Shakers and Quakers as well. These
types of music go back to the 1800s.

Ashley