[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Don't Subject Yourself to Abuse - Dr. Larry Ollison

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:26:16 UTC 2011

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Don't Subject Yourself to Abuse - Dr. Larry
Ollison
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 06:22:02 -0500

Don't Subject Yourself to Abuse
by Dr. Larry Ollison

I want to dispel a very common misconception about abuse and offense.
Contrary to what most people think, removing yourself from an abusive
situation doesn't necessarily mean you are offended or unforgiving.

For example, if your husband beats you, God does not expect you, or your
children, to remain in such an environment. And leaving such a horrendous
situation does not necessarily mean that you are offended. It is actually
possible to leave an abusive situation and not harbor offense toward the
abuser.

However, if you leave that situation with hatred or bitterness towards
your abuser, then you are in direct disobedience to God's Word. Jesus did
not harbor hatred or bitterness toward those who betrayed Him or nailed Him
to the cross. Instead He said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know
what they do." (Luke 23:34)

Jesus demonstrated His love for the Father by obeying His commandments.
(1 John 5:2-3) says, "By this we know that we love the children of God,
when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God,
that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome."

Do you love God? How do you demonstrate your love for God? According to
this verse, crying, praying, or even tithing doesn't prove your love.
Instead, your love is proven only when you keep His commandments.

When the Lord said in (Matthew 19:19), "Love your neighbor," He didn't
mean to love only those who love you in return. His commandment to love is
without exception.

Choose to prove your love for God by obeying His Word. He has given you
the anointing, the grace, and the power to love and live free from offense.