[Faith-talk] Halloween

Jeanette nettiecosp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 16:57:14 UTC 2011

well  i know lots of good christian families whose children have
participated in trick or treaiting for years and the children are good
Christian people, please remember many many of us grew up in this way and
are fine, i think that it is all about how it si presented.  i did not let
my small children have anything to do with it, we lived on a very small
island and it was one of the two biggest holiday celebrations on the island.
my kids had lots of friends who  did the trick or treat thing, we did not
hand out candy til my kids were quite a bit older.
\they were taught the origins of halloween and understood that the way we
participated in it was purely a dress up thing and candy.
 if the kids parents are not involved with the kids at all and don't tell
them anything other than to send them to school and to parties, there are
much bigger issues with those kids than just the celebrating of halloween.
as a parent of teen age children, 19, 17, and 15, i can tell you that the
participating in the school activities when the kids are older is not a huge
deal.
 we are blessed here in our district they let the kids dress up if they
want, no evil costumes, no horror stuff, it has to be fun stuff and it
isoptional, lots of the kids don't dress up, my bosy never did, my daughter
dressed up as Sarah Palin the one year that she did. i do not feel they are
damaged or wrongly influenced by any of this, we have studied the origins of
halloween and i am comfortable with it.
 i would be curious to what those of you with children have to say abot
this.  there is always a lot of discussion among folks with no kids what
they think is right or wrong but until you have actually lived through it it
is all purely idealism in my opinion and i have dealt with a lot of this
over the years. jeanette