[Faith-talk] FW: [C F 4 A] Today's Promise from the Bible 10-13-11

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:20:58 UTC 2011

How powerful.

Original Message:
From: "Honeybee" <honeybeerhoads at yahoo.com>
To: "CF4A" <CF4A at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [C F 4 A] Today's Promise from the Bible   10-13-11
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2011 06:25:09 -0600

Today's Promise from the Bible

Hebrews 12:1-2

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of
witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily
beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy
that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set
down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Reflection

We have so many 'witnesses' that have gone on before us. So many men and
women of faith (Hebrews 11) that are the examples the Lord has given us to
follow. We are to lay aside every weight. Now, what are these weights? They
are the things that bring about stress and worries. They are the things
Jesus wants to carry for us! We also need to lay aside our sin. Sin is
inevitable. Even the lives of the very witnesses spoken of in Hebrews 11
are fraught with sins and the remorse of sin! Even though we cannot be
perfect of ourselves, we must lay aside our wants and desires and choose to
follow the Lord (Romans 6:15). This is a hard thing to do, but we must run
with patience.

Jesus has given each of us a race to run. Each of our races are
different, this means that we cannot compare our race with others. At
times, our race is difficult. We become tired and worn out, but then God
reminds us of how much we need Him! We are not running alone! We have the
Creator of the world running beside us and He is willing to carry us when
we cannot go on! In order to run and run well, we need to fix our eyes on
Jesus.

There are so many things that can take our gaze off Jesus! People.
Circumstances. Difficult struggles. Self-pity. But as Peter learned, it is
when you take you eyes off Jesus that you sink! In all that we do, no
matter the circumstances, we need to keep our eyes focused on Him for He
knows all things (Proverbs 4:25-27)! If we fix our eyes on Jesus, our paths
are made straight.

Jesus has endured the cross for us! We are the joy set before Him! He
went through so much pain and shame, for us! Think about it, Jesus, the SON
of GOD came to EARTH as a MAN and was crucified as a CRIMINAL!! What a
humbling experience! We often do not recognize how much shame He went
through for us! But now! Now He is seated at God's right hand! And He
continually intercedes on our behalf!