[Faith-talk] choose life not death

Andrew Edgcumbe andrewjedg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:07:27 UTC 2011

Choose Life, Not Death

By Ben Komanapalli, Jr.
This week's topic: The Power Of The Tongue

 God didn't just give us the choice between life and death, between
blessings and curses, He tells us to choose life! He desires for us to
choose life and live under His blessings.

Proverbs 18:21 tells us that “Death and life are in the power of the
tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.” In other words,
what we speak has power to cause death or life. One of the ways that
we choose life and not death is by the words we choose to speak.
Everything in the world operates by the words we speak. A person’s
feelings and emotions can dramatically change because of the words he
or she hears. When we see this happen, the right words can bring life,
joy and happiness, whereas the wrong words can bring death and
sadness.

 People get married because of the words they speak, and people fight
because of the words they speak. If we plan on living the life that
God has for us, we need to make sure that we have our tongues under
control.

 In John 12:49-50 we see that Jesus only spoke the things that He
heard the Father say. He only talked in agreement with The Father’s
will. If Jesus is our example, and He is, we need to do what He did.
We need to speak words that are in agreement with God’s will, which is
His word. He needs us to say the things that God says about us! You
and I don’t have any business speaking words that are contrary to the
word of God! We need to speak words that are in agreement with what
God says in His Word.

 The Bible is clear about who we are in Christ, where we are in
Christ, what we have in Christ and what we can do in Christ. When we
face various situations in our lives, we need to speak words that are
in agreement with who we are in Christ, where we are in Christ, what
we have in Christ and what we can do in Christ, because that is what
God says! Problems like low self-esteem, discouragement, negativity,
condemnation, etc. will have no place in our lives when we speak in
agreement with God on a continual basis.

If you are reading this and think it’s impossible to control your
tongue, you are right! James 3:8 actually says that no man can tame
the tongue! But, don’t be discouraged! You and I cannot tame the
tongue in our own strength but thank God for the Holy Spirit. The Holy
Spirit is always present with us and willing to help us tame our
tongues.

 Peter was a man with a wild tongue, but after the Pentecost we see
him speaking with power and authority. You and I have the same
opportunity and ability because of the Holy Spirit living in us! So
ask the Holy Spirit for His help and guidance so that you can speak
words of life and not death in every situation of your life!

Scripture of the day: "I have set before you life and death, blessing
and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants
may live." - Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV)