[Faith-talk] FW: [Native_American_Christians] Control and Manipulation

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:52:26 UTC 2012

From: Sharoon Gill <sharoongill2004 at yahoo.com>
To: aamir.alfred at hotmail.com, allenosward at gmail.com,
Purpose-Driven-Harvesting at yahoogroups.com, sg_gill at hotmail.com,
smdjo at yahoo.com
Subject: [Native_American_Christians] Control and Manipulation
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2012 08:05:31 -0700 (PDT)

To subscribe or unsubscribe click here

Control and Manipulation
by Dr. Larry Ollison

Depression, jealousy, and emotional outbursts have often been considered
the result of frustration and stress in life. However, recently I have
noticed people who have used depression, jealousy, and emotional outbursts
as a form of control.
It may seem difficult to believe that a depressed person isn't really
depressed, or that a jealous person isn't really jealous, or that an
emotional outburst is not fueled by anger. Yet many times this is true.
As Christians, we must never attempt to control people through
manipulation. Control and manipulation are rebellion against God's plan for
someone else. A person who relentlessly attempts to control another usually
becomes so focused on the control that his or her mind cannot be changed.
This is a type of stubbornness.
According to the Bible, rebellion and stubbornness are not of God: "For
rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and
idolatry" (1 Sam. 15:23).
We must break the spirit of control in our lives. Galatians 5:22 tells us
that a part of the fruit of the spirit is self-control. Yes, we must take
control of our own lives and not allow sin to enter. We must pray for and
do good to others. We must love them and not think of ourselves as higher
than them. However, we must never try to bring someone closer to God or
closer to the way we think they should be by way of control.
Depression, jealousy, and emotional outbursts are all based in fear. Any
time fear is used to restructure a situation, it's wrong. God never uses
fear as a motivation, but God motivates through love. Love covers a
multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8.) Love changes lives. Love reveals God's
true nature and love is what will bring people into a right understanding
of where they should be.
So the next time you catch yourself trying to manipulate someone through
your emotions, stop it. Think about what you are doing and start operating
in love instead of fear. Anything that you do that is associated with fear
has its roots in the devil.
Remember this - God has not given you a spirit of fear, "but of power and
of love and of a sound mind" (2 Tim. 1:7).

This is an excerpt from The Practical Handbook for Christian Living by
Dr. Larry Ollison

All rights reserved. Used by permission.
This article may be reproduced for teaching purposes but not for
commercial resale
When writing about this devotional, refer to devotional #0392
Larry Ollison Ministries PO Box 880, Osage Beach, MO 65065 USA

Larry Ollison Ministries uses all media means available to teach the
gospel worldwide.

Our records indicate we have your permission to send email to the
following address: sharoongill2004 at yahoo.com
Larry Ollison Ministries never sells, rents, or shares your email
address.