[Faith-talk] question

RJ Sandefur joltingjacksandefur at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:27:54 UTC 2012

Suing won't work. Its only going to make the federation look bad. Your
friend should keep on looking. Please Share this article with her.
It is pasted below in its intirity. RJ
Blind Okeechobee man 'delights' in preaching
Jul 27, 2011
By CAROLYN NICHOLS
Newswriter

HAPPY R.J. Sandefur, blind since birth, has been encouraged by his pastor,
Randy Huckabee, as he prepares to preach. Courtesy photo
OKEECHOBEE (FBW)-R.J. Sandefur has taken the words of Psalm 37:4 to heart. A
member of First Baptist Church in Okeechobee, the 32-year-old blind man
studies about the Lord and trusts God to give him "the delights" of his
heart-which is to preach.
"God is the only one who can call somebody into the ministry, and I know He
has called me," Sandefur said.
The faithful young man does not let an opportunity to preach pass by. He has
preached in several churches in the Big Lake Baptist Association in pastors'
absences, and he is active in his church's 10-year ministry to teenage boys
in a correctional facility for juveniles in Okeechobee.
"I sometimes preach, and I sometimes just listen to the boys," Sandefur told
Florida Baptist Witness. "Some people say, 'Why waste your time?' But I want
them to come to Jesus. I don't want anybody to go to hell," he said.
Sandefur sometimes also teaches the adult sanctuary class at First Baptist.
Pastor Randy Huckabee admires his desire to serve.
"If desire was everything, R.J. would be a pastor now," he told the Witness.
"I tell him to stay prayed up and studied up so that when God allows, he can
preach."
Sandefur said he would love to meet and to follow in the paths of two of his
heroes, Billy Graham and Charles Stanley.
"I'd like to talk with them about serving the Lord and other things. If I
don't get to meet them in this life, I'll see them in heaven," he said.
Sandefur preached his first sermon in July 2004 at his home church. Using
John 8:1-11, he told the story of the woman caught in adultery, stressing
the Pharisees' rush to judgment and Jesus' willingness to give her a second
chance. To his great joy, his mother was there to hear him preach.
"My mother always said, 'I'll be on the front row when you preach your first
sermon,' and she was," he said.
After that sermon, Sandefur said his mom told him, "R.J., you must be a
Baptist preacher because you went over by 15 minutes."
Sandefur was sheltered at home by his late parents, Bobby and Margie, after
his premature birth that caused his blindness. He recalled the day visitors
from First Baptist's bus ministry came to their home.
"They asked dad if he had kids, and he told them about my sister. My mom
reminded him of me, and he told them I was blind. They said it didn't matter
and they would take me, too," he said.
He has attended the church from then until now except for a brief stint at
the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine as a small child.
He returned to Okeechobee to attend fourth grade in regular public school
and graduated from high school in 1999. Since then he has completed degrees
at Indian River Community College and Florida Atlantic University. In 2005,
he completed a ThM degree by correspondence from Andersonville Theological
Seminary in Camilla, Ga., and he is working now on his doctorate from there.
Studying takes up much of his time daily, although he loves to follow NASCAR
races on TV, he said. He lives in the house where he grew up with his
sister, Robina, her husband, Bernard Marker, and their three children.
Sandefur equates his blindness with the Apostle Paul's "thorn in the flesh."
"People ask me if I would want to see, but seeing now would only be
temporary. When I get to heaven and see my Savior, then I will be completely
whole. I think that God has given me the ability now to see things that
sighted people overlook," he said.
Sandefur's blindness affects his ability to get around, although special
training on Saturdays is helping with that. His Bible study is made easier
with a "talking Bible machine," he said. He uses a Braille King James
Version Bible in the pulpit, and he tries to memorize as much Scripture as
possible.
Waiting on God's timing to enter the pastorate, Sandefur said his pastor,
"Brother Randy," encourages him to be patient.
"R.J. loves to preach. He is a good student and he writes good sermon
outlines, and he can preach forever and ever amen," Huckabee said.
"Pastoring will be challenge for him, but we can never discount what God can
do."