[Faith-talk] The blind in church

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr. rex at littlelaw.com
Mon Apr 9 19:50:27 UTC 2012

I think it's a sad sad day when we say that someone can't take a guide dog
up to take communion because of the possibility of a smell  or a noise or a
nuisance.

Sometimes we tell people that they may find themselves sitting beside
someone who hasn't taken a bath. We tell them if they have a problem with
that or they think they're too good to sit with these people, they have two
options, move, or say bye bye.

We don't judge people by the standards preferred by the secular public.

I want to share some lyrics with you that pretty much says it all: This is a
song by Todd Agnew called My Jesus.

Wait, before I share those lyrics, I want to share a little joke that might
make my point as well.

One day a young man came into a church wearing a cowboy hat, a huge belt
buckle and scuffed cowboy boots.

After the service the pastor went up to the young man and said "sir we thank
you for coming to church but we just want you to know that we expect our
parishioners to dress a little better than you are dressed today. Please
come back next week dressed a little nicer?"

The next week the same young man came into the church wearing his cowboy
hat, his huge belt buckle and his scuffed boots.
The pastor confronted him at the end of service and said "I thought I
informed you about the dress code here. Why don't you go home and ask Jesus
this week how he would want you to dress for next Sunday's service?"

The next week the young man came in wearing his cowboy hat, his huge belt
buckle and his scuffed boots.

The pastor was furious.

"I thought I told you to go home and ask Jesus how he would want you to
dress for church?"

"I did," replied the cowboy.

"And what did Jesus say to you?" asked the Pastor.

"Jesus said he's never been! to this church."

Now, here are the lyrics.

Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and
worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
So which one do you want to be?

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You
Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?
I want to be like my Jesus