[Faith-talk] some Godly advice

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 13 02:40:24 UTC 2012

Hi Beth,

While I was growing up, my mother weighed me every weekend when I
came home from a week at school. She would beat me if I gained any
weight, and do other things to me as well. She even made me miss a
week of school so that she could continue the water-only diet she put
me on, except for one small meal at night. The more she beat me and
ragged on me, the heavier I got. Why? Probably because I was worried
and scared, and eating was my comfort. I was a twin, and my sister
died at 6 days old. My mother told me at least twice that God took
the wrong one!

Now, my advice to you is, first to pray. Bathe yourself in prayer,
and ask God to give you the right words, and to soften your mother's
heart and open her ears so that she can hear what you are saying to
her. She may be contributing to your depression by her words and
actions concerning you. If she wants you to get off the depression
meds, she needs to leave you alone concerning your weight, and
anything else she's crabbing about. Ask her to help you by loving
you, not tearing you down.

Maybe get an exercise bike so that you can ride while at home. You
can do that while you listen to a book or whatever. And, if you live
with her, offer to help with the housework. That will give you more
chances to exercise.

Remember, you are made in God's image, and He created you for a
purpose. Love your mom to the Lord.

Blessings,

Linda