[Faith-talk] Jesus, Take the Wheel

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:36:41 UTC 2012

I don't appreciate the treatment that "some" Christian Record Services
(Seventh-Day Adventist) camps do to blind people.  In my experience, only
one camp was I completely treated like a child.  At Beacon Falls, which was
a camp not approved by CRS, I was made to sit with other boys, bad-mouthed
because of my choice of talent-show selection, and scolded because, on the
last full day of camp, I refused to go on a hike. My reasoning was that I
was tired, and that it did not conform to Sabbath services, nor was the
camp organized by the camp.  I also grew impatient when the counselors did
not quiet down the children properly.   They threatened to put everybody to
bed early!  No joke!

However, the other Christian Record camp in California was a little
better.  We did fun activities, had fellowship, and great Sabbath services.
 So, the only thing I didn't like were the "Line Calls."  We didn't do that
at Camp Bloomfield.  We were treated with respect!  And at Malibu, CA,
there is none of that silliness.

About being "converted:" CRS camps are a place where devotional services
are conducted.  You do not have to partake in "every" topic of Sabbath
services.  Since it's on a Saturday, you may choose to pack, unwind, or
rest in the cabin.  If something, in other words, upsets you, tell your
counselor.  Not "all" CRS camps treat their campers like children.  From
the stories I've received, they don't do that.  Let Alice have your
concerns; each time you attend a CRS camp, let headquarters know; they are
always looking on ways they can improve their product.  Camp Bloomfield is
a 50-acre camp run by the Junior Blind Foundation of America.  The Adult
Camp is August 8-13.  The camp is nondenomational.

Eric
.. .. Eric Calhoun with the America's Finest City Distribution List,
devoted to San Diego; the Camp Bloomfield List dedicated to the camp in
Malibu, California: Sign up is at eric at pmpmail.com.  ..  .. I'm on
Facebook, at eric at pmpmail.com.