[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] From Altercation To Altar Call | Encouragement For Today

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:31:56 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>,
<INTERCESSORS-ALLNATIONS at yahoogroups.com>,
<dfpprayerwarriors at suddenlink.net>, <unitedprayermail at aol.com>,
<CcHhEeSsTtEeRr at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] From Altercation To Altar Call |
Encouragement For Today
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:26:41 -0400

>From Altercation To Altar Call | Encouragement For Today | Proverbs 31
Ministries

                  April 24, 2012

                        From Altercation To Altar Call

                        By Tracie Miles

                  "Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced
a crop-a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears,
let them hear." Matthew 13:8-9 (NIV)

                  I noticed my 12-year-old son involved in a commotion on
the other side of the sanctuary. He was sitting with his youth group, just
like he does every Sunday, on the opposite side from where my husband and I
do.

                  I walked over there and motioned for my son to follow
me into the lobby. There, we could discuss why an altercation was occurring
in the church pew where he sat with his friends.

                  Apparently someone wanted to sit in the spot where he
and another friend were sitting. And so, a middle-school-boy-scuffle
ensued. Even though he had tears-due in part to receiving an elbow in the
eye, but also hurt by pride and anger-he insisted on returning to sit with
the rest of the youth.

                  Our pastor's sermon was about anger that morning. He
shared ways we should respond, according to God's Word and gave a few
examples:

                  A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm
when insulted. (Proverbs 12:16 NIV)

                  Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the
one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy. (Proverbs 28:13 NLT)

                  When our pastor ended his sermon, soft music played as
the congregation was invited to come to the altar if they felt God leading
them to do so.

                  I noticed a young man at the altar, bent knees, buried
face in his arms, praying. He looked familiar, but seemed bigger than my
son ... Could it be?

                  Bending over to look closely, I discovered the young
man kneeling at the altar was my son.

                  My heart pounded as I watched my little man becoming a
young man in Christ right before my eyes. His heart had been moved by the
Word of God ... straight to the altar.

                  After church, I asked Michael what he'd prayed about.
"Mom, I listened to the pastor talk about anger, and felt bad for getting
upset at my friend. So I asked God to forgive me and to help me control my
temper."

                  I was at a loss for words for three reasons: my son was
actually paying attention to the sermon! His heart was hurting and he was
listening for God's leading. And when God spoke to his heart, scriptures
resounded in his mind and compelled him to move.

                  Three simple steps: pay attention to God's voice,
listen when He speaks through His Word, and move when He calls.

                  I may not have physical altercations with others, as
boys often do. But I do have emotional and spiritual altercations as I face
the trials, demands, temptations and frustrations that life brings.

                  My son's boldness to admit his need for forgiveness and
strength, and to actually walk down to the altar, has prompted me to view
my "altercations" in a new light.

                  Instead of letting my struggles take me down and make
me feel discouraged, I'm following in my son's footsteps. Paying attention
to God's voice, listening when He speaks through His Word, and moving when
He calls.

                  Today, let's do the same. Let's respond to God's Word
and lay our trials, fears and temptations at the foot of the cross,
allowing God to mend our heart. With the faith of a child, we too can let
our "altercations" lead us to the altar.

                  Dear Lord, today I want to pay attention to Your voice
and move when You call. Please make my heart soft to forgive my friends and
family. Thanks for Your help in this. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

                  Reflect and Respond:
                  Pay attention to God's voice, listen when He speaks
through His Word, and move when He calls.

                  Feeling down or discouraged? Follow in Michael's
footsteps and bring your hurt to the Lord.

                  Power Verses:
                  Hebrews 3:15, "As has just been said: 'Today, if you
hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.'"
(NIV)

                  2 Peter 1:3, "His divine power has given us everything
we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his
own glory and goodness." (NIV)

                  © 2012 by Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.

                  Proverbs 31 Ministries
                  616-G Matthews-Mint Hill Road
                  Matthews, NC 28105
                  www.Proverbs31.org

            Proverbs 31 Ministries
            616-G Matthews-Mint Hill Road, Matthews, NC 28105
            877-P31-HOME (877-731-4663)  Social Media