[Faith-talk] What is the purpose of this list because it's unclear to me and probably a lot of us

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Apr 29 03:16:52 UTC 2012

Linda:

I am not the Moderator, -- so it isn't up to me to dictate what is on
each and every list.  Personally, I have no problem with the prayer
requests, and even the odd forward or two.  However, as list Owner,
and someone who has done this for many years, and someone who
oversees about 200 lists I have a good sense for what makes a list
work and what doesn't.  The Faith-talk list does have a sense of
"community" which I personally think is a good thing -- all our
successful lists develop some sense of community.  However, just
forwards does drive people away.

Finally, with all our lists I nudge them to remember that this is the
NFB and we are blindness-related.  We don't run the list just to be a
place for daily messages, or prayer requests.  I am sure there are
hundreds, if not thousands of lists in the general religion world
that do that.

This doesn't mean that prayers or forwards do not have a place on our
list -- they do -- but we do this to support each others as blind persons.

David Andrews, List Owner