[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Tuesday, August 7 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:55:46 UTC 2012

Hello and good evening to all of you who reside in North America, and a good hump day to the rest of you.  Well, our local celebration of the 37th annual National Night Against Crime was a very good success, judging by the number of local people who came out.  Of course, one of the drawing cards was free picnic type food, but it was also a chance for neighbors to be neighbors.  Now, if only this would be transferred to a daily basis, rather than an occasional get-together.  Anyway as usual I digress.  How was your day today? Mine was good before this event occurred.

Our members from Oklahoma might remember this lady.  When it was written in the 1970's she might have been using her maiden name.  Anyway her name was Linda M. Quick and she resided in Oklahoma City.  Her poem is entitled "It's Different Now, and Thanks to All," rendered as follows:

Familiar faces have become distorted and queer.
I pick up the paper and hold it quite near.
I get very close to recognize a friend,
And I put away the clothes I intended to mend.

I fuss, and I open, and close the shades,
Adjust the lamps, and reach for more aids.
Magnifying glasses all over the place;
I misplace everything, and can't find a trace.

But the thing that hurt me most, by far
Was that I could no longer drive the car.
I stumbled and fell in the snow and the rain,
Then finally went out and bought myself a cane.

And then I learned to my surprise
Of a wonderful gift from people with eyes.
They are giving to me whom they have never seen,
The reading records and the record machine.
Detective stories, the Oregon Trail
Come every week in the daily mail.
So I find while getting my afternoon rest
I have just completed "The Reader's Digest."

To you, who give of your talents and time,
In great appreciation I give you this rhyme.
May you be blessed with sight and health
For having given a share of your wealth.

And there you have it for today.  Before I close, many thanks to the two people who contacted me off list about those bed sheets.  They arrived several days ago, and are they nice! Anyone else wish to share theirs, that may be old but usable? Please write mee off list and I'll give you my postal address to send them.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last evil days in which we live.  Your Christian brother, Paul