[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, August 8 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 01:48:38 UTC 2012

Well folks, here in North America we're about to finish what is commonly called Hump Day, not exactly at the beginning of the week but not at the end.  For some strange reason I always equate the days from Thursday through Saturday as downhill days, and not in a bad way either.  Maybe it's just my strange eccentricity or something like that.  Anyway how was your day today? Mine was good.  Didn't do anything spectacular, but nonetheless it was still a good day for me.

Debbie Berger of Torrance California enters our minds and hearts today with her contribution entitled "My Prayer," rendered as follows:

I thank you Lord, for what You have given me today,
For food, clothing, home and school
And this quiet place to pray.

For family, friends and relatives
Who are so kind and dear,
I thank Thee that you are always near.

You are the heavenly Father
Who so loved the world
That Your Son died on the cross
For every man, woman, boy and girl.
Your Son died on Calvary,
And suffered the worst death in history,
To die for every sin of mine
That I may be called a child of Thine.

Please be with those who are not so fortunate as I,
Those who are on beds of pain
And those about to die.
Be with the young men
Whom to Vietnam we send
And may the war soon come to an end.

May men realize that war is not the way,
And that we only get peace, the Christian way.

Be with the missionaries far and near
Who teach people about the Lord
And to serve Him without fear.
They go to many cities, towns and nations
To tell people the good news
About eternal salvation.

May each and every one
Of my sins be forgiven,
That I may have eternal life
And dwell with me in Heaven.
Save me from the plight of destruction
Where there is torture, anguish and fire,
For I wish to please and serve Thee;
That is my only desire.
Please forgive me all the times
That I might have said something
That was not very kind..
The times when somebody's spirit
Might have been raised
If I had only offered a word of praise.

May I say words of comfort and cheer to people in need,
And each day do at least one good deed.

Besides being pleasing to others,
May I be pleasing to You.
Please, lead me by the hand
And tell me what to do.
By following Your will,
I shall be strong,
For You are always in the right
And I am in the wrong.

As I read the Testaments, both Old and New,
Please help me to truly come closer to You.
As a child of Thine,
May I always remain;
I ask all of this
In Thy Holy Name.

My, but what words of deep meaning Sister Debbie penned some 40 or so years ago! You can tell it was that old because of the reference to the Vietnam conflict.  Was wondering if in her heart of hearts if she was a silent pacifist or not? Or when referencing Vietnam did she perhaps think of that part in Ecclesiastes 3 when it states that there is a time for war, and a time of peace? Well, unless some of you know or knew her, we won't find out this side of glory.  Sister Debbie's words made a deep impression on the undersigned.

Before I close, I'd like to acknowledge in particular one individual who prefers to remain anonymous in regard to the bed sheets.  Not only did this person send me a top and bottom sheet, but also included some little inflatable animals.  In a Braille note that came with it, this person wrote: "Enclosed please find the bed sheets you have requested.  Am also including some inflatable toy animals that you can tuck in with you as a symbol of my loyalty, dedication and friendship we've both had together in the morning quotes and good night messages." Now there's a person who doesn't have much money putting their actions together with deeds.  Believe me, your selfless generosity won't go unrewarded by our heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last and evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul