[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, July 4 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 02:24:56 UTC 2012

Hello and good day or evening to my fellow saints of the Most High God.  Well, as of 8 p.m. eastern time there were still 70,000 people still without electricity in our local service area, with some 46,000 people served by PEPCO, Potomac Edison and Power Company that serves the nation's capital and part of northern Virginia.  Am still doing well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.  How was your day today? I hope it was good.

Our words of inspiration this evening fittingly come from the pen of Phil Kerr of Sioux City Iowa.  The song that he composed, at least the words, was first sung in that city on July 4 1934.  Some of you may not have heard of this particular song.  If I had a way of attaching my not-so-good singing as an audio file, I'd do it, but for that I'd need some assistance in the form of phone instructions.  Anyway the name of his song is entitled "God Save Our Nation," and it is rendered as follows:

God, save our nation,
The stars and stripes defend.
For our salvation
On Thee we must depend.
Foes around assail us,
Thou will never fail us,
O, save our nation,
In God we trust.

God, be our refuge,
In Thee our hopes are laid.
Trusting Thy promise,
We'll march on undismayed.
Old Glory waving o'er us,
Knowing Thou art for us,
O, save our nation, in God we trust.

God, bless our leaders,
They need Thy guiding hand.
God, bless our people
In all this glorious land;
How we need Thy blessing,
Now we come confessing,
O, save our nation,
In God we trust.

Let me add that, even though the terms "stars and stripes" and Old Glory were used, this song-poem could be applicable to God's people in almost any nation on earth where they happen to dwell.  I hope that you all enjoyed reading these words and, if you happen to know the tune, maybe you sang along with the words silently.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian brother and friend, Paul