[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Saturday, July 7 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 00:54:23 UTC 2012

Good evening all of you residing in North America, and good day to the rest of you.  I know this is a bit early, but honestly I had nothing else to do and, since I'll be on several phone conferences this evening before I go to bed, I decided to post this message right now.  Besides, the undersigned is in a mood that was expressed some time ago in an old Sam Cook Song in which he sang: "I wish I had someone to talk to." And by that, I mean just picking up the phone and just chatting person to person, rather than via email.  Am I the only one who thinks like that, or are there others here?

Anyway how was your day today? Mine was good, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.  My AC is still humming right along, despite the extremely abnormal hot weather here in the mid-Atlantic region of the country and, I'm sure, in other parts of our continent.

Beginning this evening, the poetry presented will be from recordings, and because of that, punctuation and verse divisions might not be quite accurate.  This evening's poem, whose author eludes me, is entitled "You Tell On Yourself," rendered as follows:

You tell on yourself by the friends you seek,
By the very manner in which you speak,
By the way you employ your leisure time,
By the use you make of dollar and dime.

You tell what you are by the things you wear,
By the spirit in which your burdens bear,
By the kind of things of which you lack,
By the records you play on your phonograph.

You tell what you are by the way you walk,
By the things of which you delight to talk,
By the manner in which you bear defeat,
By so simple a thing as how you eat,
By the books you choose from the well-filled shelf,
In these ways and more,
You tell on yourself.
No, there's really no particle of sense
In an effort to keep up the false pretense.

And there you have it for today.  This poem obviously has its stamp of age on it, as it mentions a phonograph.  It appeared in the February 1970 issue of "Christian Record Talking Magazine." Hope you enjoyed it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian brother, Paul