[Faith-talk] FW: [FriendshipCenter] Sinner on Site

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Mon Mar 5 03:55:20 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "Kliphton-SR" <kliphton at gmail.com>
To: "Kliphton-SR" <kliphton at gmail.com>
Subject: [FriendshipCenter] Sinner on Site
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 08:29:10 -0600

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth
is not in us.
1 John 1:8

Part of our job as parents is dealing with the sins of our children.
Correcting misbehavior, admonishing them for mistakes in judgment and
disciplining them for their own good make up a fairly big wedge on the
parenting pie chart.

But I believe it's also important that we never develop the impression
that our children are the only ones who ever come up short in the character
department. They need to know that the two grown-ups they know best in life
confess their sins and need forgiveness, too.

Raising children, perhaps more than any other assignment in life, reveals
your true character. The spiritual discipline of admitting your own sin is
part of what makes your parenting real and genuine.

I can't count the number of times I made a mistake and needed to ask one
of my children for forgiveness. Like the time one of our children stepped
on my favorite fly rod. It not only snapped, but so did I. I grabbed the
remaining pieces of that rod and began to break them against my bent leg in
a fit of anger.

Barbara was stunned. The children scurried and scattered to their
bedrooms like bugs. Thirty minutes later, I called a family meeting and
apologized for my sin.

I'm not just talking about when your sin is something directed solely at
your children--they also need to hear how you deal with things like
covetousness or pride or retaliation. If you are honest about your own
sins, they won't feel so funny admitting them to you, talking about them
and learning how you handle them.

Your children need to know they're living with people who are totally
dependent on the mercy and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. They need
parents who are not afraid to admit they fail and need the Savior's
forgiveness, just like they do.

Discuss
Is there a particular sin that you know you should confess to your
children?

Pray
Pray that you will show your children how to be a true follower of
Christ.