[Faith-talk] FW: [FriendshipCenter] devotional

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Mar 9 00:23:19 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "Arlene" <nedster66 at gmail.com>
To: <FriendshipCenter at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [FriendshipCenter] devotional
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:46:23 -0800

Rewards of Persistence

"A lizard can be caught with the hand, yet it is found in king's
palaces."1

What could a tiny lizard possibly teach us? It teaches the rewards of
persistence which "takes it to the top."

Another has said, "The race is not always to the swift but to those who
keep
on running." Among other things, fulfilling God's will for our lives
means
reaching our total God-given human and spiritual potential. We don't have
be geniuses to do this, but we do need to be persistent and keep on
keeping
on regardless of our circumstances.

The Apostle Paul experienced all sorts of trials and setbacks. He was
shipwrecked, stoned and left for dead, whipped and beaten, and thrown into
prison for promoting Christianity. He knew firsthand what it was to
experience loneliness, cold and hunger. The interesting thing about this
is
that Paul penned some of his great letters to the churches while in
prison,
as did John Bunyan as he wrote Pilgrim's Progress when he was in prison.

I listened to a preacher some time ago, a preacher who had cerebral palsy
and struggled with every word he spoke. I was deeply moved. God used this
man to influence hundreds of lives for all eternity. If ever I saw
persistence it was in this man. In spite of his debilitating handicap, he
reached his top and was maximizing his full potential.

God has a plan and life-purpose for each of us, too.

To achieve it, it won't happen without dedication, commitment, hard work,
and persistence. As Paul said, "It is God himself in his mercy, who has
given us this wonderful work . and so we never give up."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in the midst of setbacks and the
disappointments of life, please give me the gift of persistence so that I
will never give up the goal of becoming all that you want me to be, and to
keep on doing what you want me to do. Thank you for hearing and answering
my
prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus'

name, amen."

1. Proverbs 30:28 (NIV).