[Faith-talk] accessibility of church service material

Jenny Keller jlperdue3 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 15:18:44 UTC 2012

I feel the same way.  If everyone else is getting them materials for free, then I should have that same consideration.

I don't expect charity, just equality.

Some churches have the praise and worship music which is pretty repetitive so it's not hard to learn usually, but others, do not and if it's a church like mine, where the hymns are mostly all hymns written for the Latter Day Saint church, it's difficult to get them in any other format than braille.

there are 300 or more hymns and we don't sing the same ones every week.

Also, I am blessed that since the coir director uses music that is not standard hymns, she records everyone's part for them via mp3 and sends it to us.

I can say that's a blessing.

Jenny
On May 1, 2012, at 12:59 AM, Julie McGinnity wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I think it's interesting the amount of options we have as blind
> people.  I'm not really sure any one method of getting church material
> is best.  Some prefer to scan it themselves, while others prefer for
> their church to help them find it in braille.  Linda and others use
> note takers to participate, and some just choose to listen and feel
> included that way.
>
> Personally, I learn the songs faster than they can give it to me in
> braille or even type out the lyrics in some cases.  I do ask our
> worship pastor to do this when I have a solo, and when I have sung
> praise team in the past, I have looked up the necessary lyrics myself
> on the internet.  You can find most contemperary songs and all hymns
> online.  Actually, I found a great website for hymns(which I can't
> remember at the moment), but if you guys are curious, I'll look it up.
>
> I would love to have the verses we are studying in Sunday school class
> in braille, but this is not possible all the time.  I have a note
> taker, but I don't know the verses we are going to study most of the
> time, and it is hard to get that info before class.  It doesn't bother
> me because I'm an auditory learner, but I do realize that other people
> would not like this arrangement.
>
> I go to a Southern Baptist church, and they have offered to perchase
> audio or braille Sunday school material if/when it is available, and
> that is not just for me--they buy all our materials.  I wouldn't mind
> paying for mine as long as all the sighted people paid for their
> materials as well.  I don't expect handouts, but I do expect to be
> treated like the other members of my Sunday school class.
>
> On 4/30/12, Jeanette <nettiecosp at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> i don't feel anhone owes me anything not even if i support the church, i do
>>
>> the best i can to get the materials in a format to use but ask nothing
>> special of folks.  i have the ability to access all of the sermons and such
>>
>> on the church website and i am grateful the site is accessable.

>>> for class.  One of the best at my church is a retired college professor,