[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, October 31 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:34:06 UTC 2012

Well, we've come at last to the end of another month here in North America although, in other parts of the world, it's already another month and a Thursday.  I hope and pray that your morning or afternoon are going well and I also pray that we in North America had a good day today.  I heard some rather disturbing news earlier today that someone used my credit card number without my knowledge.  Fortunately the bank caught the error, someone there called me and asked about it and I denied that I had done what had been done, and that I should be receiving another card.  Even a guy at the company where the purchase was made called, and he assured me that charges wouldn't be placed on my account, so hopefully the individual won't get the item that he/she wished to purchase.  I hope that none of you ever had the same experience.  But enough of my troubles; let's get to the article, Okay?

Sharon Conners returns with an article entitled "Take A Stand," rendered as follows:

When I think of what Christ did for me on the cross, I am amazed at how He willingly gave His life for my sins and everyone else's.  It makes me ashamed to think of all the times I could have stood up for Christ or taken a Christian stand on a moral issue but remained silent instead.

Every time I see a movie or read a book about the passion of Christ, I am in awe of His great love for all of us.  Why is it, then, that I am still ashamed at times to stand up for what I believe in and what Christ taught us?

Newspapers or news reports often tell stories about people who have stood up for Christ. Some have lost their lives.

One young lady is Cassie Bernall.  She was a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in April 1999.  The story of the two two students who opened fire on their classmates and then shot themselves was a shock to the nation.

As news reports developed about each one of the victims, one in particular stood out.  This young seventeen-year-old girl was asked by one of the shooters whether she believed in God.  She answered yes. Then she was asked, "Why?" but was not given a chance to answer. She was shot in the head and died instantly.

It is extraordinary that someone so young would be so willing to die for her faith in Christ. Her death has had an impact on many people, young and old.  My own daughter, who is also a teenager, was very moved by the young girl's story.

We know from Scripture that if we confess Jesus as Lord on earth, He will welcome us in heaven. We are promised through Jesus' words that anyone such as Cassie is now in heaven with Him.

When I think of her and others like her, it gives me courage to speak for Christ. We should not be defeated by those times we stayed silent; we should learn from them. The next time we are faced with the same situation, we will take a stand for Christ. Ask God for the wisdom and the words to speak about Him to others.

Do you remember how the Apostle Peter denied Christ three times before Jesus' crucifixion? Later Peter helped spread the gospel of the Lord and set up Christian churches in many places. History tells us that he was even crucified for being a follower of Christ. Take a risk to stand out and make a difference for the Savior.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is Sharon's article for today.  Somewhat sobering, I'll admit, but someday, whether we like it or not, we'll have to take a stand, whether now or in the future is unknown to each of us, but, when it comes, I hope and pray that we'll be ready to "defend the faith that was once given to the saints" as we read in that little letter from Jude, right before the book of Revelation in your Bible.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul