[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Thursday, November 1 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 02:49:22 UTC 2012

Well folks, the time is approaching for Santa Claus to get ready to leave the North Pole to give to his grown-up boys and girls the things they want.  You don't believe in Santa Claus? Well, I do, in my inagination, but not in actual fact.  Anyway that won't take place till 25 December.  But enough of my fooling around.  How was your day today? Mine was good, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, and I hope that you in other parts of the world are having a good Friday morning or afternoon.

I don't think you've all read any article by this author before, but her name is Ruth Andrews, and today her contribution is simply entitled "Heroes," rendered as follows:

The dictionary might define a hero as anyone distinguished for courage or fortitude in time of war or danger or one idealized or held in high esteem for superior qualities or deeds of any kind.

Many people in the Bible fit one or both of these meanings. Hebrews 11 lists people we might call heroes of faith--people like Noah, Abraham, Moses, Gideon, and many more. They "subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, ... others were tortured," mocked and belain (v31:37).

In our lives heroes come in many forms. As a child you may have held in high esteem an actor or athelete because of special skills or character. You liked to hear about your hero. You may have dreamed of meeting him or her.

Heroes can be family members friends, or others who have profoundly influenced us. They are people we go to for counsel and encouragement. These people will likely be our heroes all our lives; however, our earthly heroes are human and far from perfect. They will pass from our lives by death or distance.

We need to pray for our earthly heroes. Being held up as a role model or good example places great responsibility on a person. He or she is subject to pride, to becoming self-important.

There is one perfect hero. That one is Jesus. Jesus did what nobody else could do. He gave His life to free us from sin's penalty.

Jesus chose to identify with imperfect humans. He knows all about us; yet He loves us unconditionally. He will never disappoint us. He will never leave or forsake us (Heb. 13:5). The Lord is our Counselor, Friend, Example and Encourager.

We need people to look up to. The Lord brings such people into our lives to help us in many ways. Let us thank the Lord for these special people. Our lives would not be as full without them.

And there you have it for today.  Hope you enjoyed Sister Ruth's article.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep you safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul