[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Thursday, October 11 2012

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 02:15:41 UTC 2012

Hello and good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you happen to live.  That first sentence was the way Eddie Startz of the Happy Station always began his radio program over Radio Nederland for over 40 years, and the undersigned was a more-or-less loyal listener.  It was heard every Sunday.  Anyway how was your day today, and how is your day going for those of you outside North America? By God's matchless grace and His providential care, mine went well.

Carole Stengel has a rather interesting short sermonette article today entitled "Never Too Old," rendered as follows:

I am a people-watcher and, I confess, an eavesdropper.  I know it is not polite to stare at people or listen to their conversations, but there are times when I get caught up in it without even trying.

One morning I was sitting at my favorite table in the local coffee shop when two elderly women came in.  The first, bent over and leaning on her walker, moved very slowly.  Her face reflected the pain she was obviously experiencing.  The second shuffled along behind her carrying two large, bulging purses.

It took them several minutes to fold the walker, stand it against the wall, and then ease themselves down into the chairs.  Each took a deep breath and smiled across the table at the other.

"We made it!" one said.

The young waitress stood beside their table tapping her pen on the order pad as the two ladies discussed several of the menu's selections.  Her distress was obvious, and there was a blankness in her eyes.  I doubted that her demeanor was because of them.

The ladies smiled sweetly at the waitress while placing their order.  As she walked away I heard one of them say, "We really must pray for her." Right there in front of God and the whole world they bowed their heads and prayed silently.

All through lunch they chatted and giggled like two schoolgirls.  I noticed they were unable to finish their portions, but with eyes twinkling they ordered dessert.

When the waitress set down a piece of chocolate cake smothered in fudge topping and a piece of cheesecake swimming with strawberries, they looked delighted.

The waitress cleared her throat. "May I ask you something?"

They smiled and nodded.

"How can you be so happy? You're obviously not in the best of health, and you're so, so--"

"We're so old"? they finished the statement she was trying not to.

The waitress nodded.  "Many elderly people who come in are crabby and complain about everything.  I was beginning to think I didn't want to live past fifty.  What makes you so different?"

"Jesus!" one said, grinning.

"We keep our eyes on Him and off our circumstances," the other explained. "It's a dedication--a smart one!

"When we were children we sat next to each other in Sunday school singing, I have decided to follow Jesus.  We still do."

And there you have Carole's contribution for today.  Hope you received a blessing from reading it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout the night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul